new member

LNGERZ@...

Whoa, I need to do the math here. Let me think on it, I'll give ya my answer
before morning!

Kay, Puppy, Becce, and Mira Me
If the eyes had no tears, the soul would have no rainbow.
Native American Proverb
<A HREF="http://www.debsfunpages.com/onecandle.htm">http://www.debsfunpages.c
om/onecandle.htm</A>

LNGERZ@...

I am using the liquid, which incidentally, was mixed much better in the
second bottle that I recently opened. The first bottle had to be really "all
shook up." I called and asked about it and voila, next bottle, really mixed
well, requires much less shaking. Anyway, one cc of the liquid = 100 mg.
Comes in 16 oz bottle, x 30cc/ounce which means it contains 480 cc, which
means 480 cc X 100 mg/cc = 48000 mg/bottle. That cost me $165, including
shipping and handling or whatever from Prescription Specialties Pharmacy,
Cheshire, CT (203) 250-0445

Now let's see, if you have 1000 pills of 4 mg, you have 4000 mg total in one
bottle of tablets (and yes, I used tabs but a year ago the price went sky
high, used to run $20 for 1000 tabs) Well, if you look at it, you get 4000
mg in your 1000 tabs for $150, and 48000 mg in 480 cc of liquid for $165.
Yeah, some difference in price, wouldn't you say? I keep thinking my math
must be wrong, would someone correct it, if it is? I know it is lots
cheaper, but that much????? I think you are paying about 12 times as much
for the tablets --- is that possible? A bottle would last me close to 218
days since I have 2 mules on cypro, one gets 1 cc and one gets 1.2 cc/day and
the pills would last about 19 days. Well, I think that is how it works out.
Maybe it will look different in the morning.

Kay, Puppy, Becce, and Mira Me
If the eyes had no tears, the soul would have no rainbow.
Native American Proverb
<A HREF="http://www.debsfunpages.com/onecandle.htm">http://www.debsfunpages.c
om/onecandle.htm</A>

hill.farm <hill.farm@...>

Hi Everyone!

I just joined this egroup as I found out that my pony has Cushings and
hypo-thyroid conditions. She is on cypro. and I was wondering if the cost I
am paying for this drug is the normal cost and/or is there any place I can
obtain it cheaper. My vet gave me a bottle of 1000 tablets (4 MG) for $150.
Any comments, suggestions will be appreciated !

Shari Rivenburg
hill.farm@...

LNGERZ@...

Uh OH! Barbara, I have NEVER refrigerated my cypro! HELP!!!! Let me recheck
the label, there was absolutely nothing said about this, just had a redraw on
bloodwork done, and actually the results showed some improvement --- but it
has been a long time since the last tests, about 2 1/2 years. Let me go look
at that bottle one more time! My bottle says, "Avoid Extreme Heat" which is
not the same as "Keep in Refrigerator after opening" but then I live in NY
and luckily it hasn't been "Extremely Hot!" People in Texas, Utah, and
Nevada would surely want to refrigerate, I guess. Well, thanks for pointing
that out, Barbara! Since I have already put the electric blanket on my bed
for the winter, I guess it is safe to leave the med on the countertop here!
But I will call the pharmacy tomorrow to double check. And me a retired
nurse --- Woe is me! I thought I had asked, but perhaps I did't! When you
are as "old as dirt" it is hard to remember every single de"tail." Just
knowing a mule has a "tail" is a good sign at my age!

I do agree, that when having a "Critter Sitter" the tabs that could be mixed
with the feed ahead of time would be the way to go especially if you "pack
lunches" like I always do. I did this with everything but the cypro, but
gave specific instructions on how to measure, add to a little bran, and put
in each mule's dish -- and no, they are NOT allowed to share their food. One
of them would really like that plan, but gates or my body block her from her
"Ultimate Dream."

Hey, group, enjoy those equines, they are so special, aren't they? You just
have to love 'em!

Kay, Puppy, Becce, and Mira Me
If the eyes had no tears, the soul would have no rainbow.
Native American Proverb
<A HREF="http://www.debsfunpages.com/onecandle.htm">http://www.debsfunpages.c
om/onecandle.htm</A>

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Kay,
Your math was just fine. :-) I did some price shopping in local
pharmacies and a bottle of 1000 cypro ranged from around $60 to $130.
Shopper's Food Warehouse was the cheapest. Three online pharmacies
were within that range: drugstore.com, Rxusa.com and eckerd.com
Shari, if you don't have your horse at home, having someone
administer the liquid might be a problem. It has to be kept
refrigerated so you can't just squirt it on the feed and let it sit.
Like Kay, I use the liquid, but sometimes it can be a hassle if I
want
to be away for the day. I'm thinking of getting some tablets, just to
have when I can't be there.
See if your vet will give you a prescription and then check your
local pharmacies or those online.
Good luck
Barbara

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Kay,
My bottle of cypro came with a label about refrigerating it. Let us
know if you talk to Rx Specialties and what they say.
Barbara

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

My vet told me to refrigerate the cypro... also has a label on the bottle
stating that it needs refrigeration.
Sue