Topics

New Photos Dr.K / Lavinia

Bobbie Day

Good morning, we were able to do some trimming on Des yesterday, if you could comment? We’re having a disagreement on how short we should be going , I say take more off but he’s afraid of taking too much?   We have not taken any sole. Also, I’m a little concerned about her stance, she’s standing with her legs underneath again. She doesn’t seem to be sore, moves around well. Nothing’s changed with her diet except I did start adding a little Stabul one pellets to her beet pulp to encourage her to eat her supps.
shes still on half dose. (I need to update case history, I’ll do that today I hope).

thank you--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bobbie,

Thanks for the latest pix. Glad to here she is doing better overall as she is moving around freely on her own.

You're correct that the breakover needs to be further back, esp on the LF. Also need to lower the heels some on the RF. Looks like the hinds need toes to come back more. Legs placed more underneath could be trim related if the hind toes are too long/taller as that will tip the feet backward so she need to pull them further under to be able to balance. Could also be if her fronts are subtly uncomfortable and she's shifting her weight backward more.

Can you please get laterals of all four legs, sole and dorsals of the hinds. Laterals need to be with the camera at ground level rather than from above the level of the foot, leg standing squarely under the horse rather than pulled forward. I can then do some specific mark-ups for you and your farrier.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Bobbie Day

Thanks Lavinia
we don’t have a trimmer until spring, he comes a long way and just not enough to do in the winter. My dear old husband and his aching back will have to do for awhile 😊 We are expecting a huge storm today, so I’ll do that as soon as weather permits.

Thank you !
--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Lavinia Fiscaletti

OK. Let me know as soon as you get the pix up and we'll go from there. You can make the needed changes in small increments weekly so that it won't be such a hardship on your husband :)

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

just an owner trimmer here ... thinning the dorsal wall might make the hoof look 'better', but it does not shorten the toe length, which is what you need to bring the breakover back.

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Bobbie Day

Lavinia
I uploaded more photos, I didn’t think to wash her back hoofs off I’m sorry I was trying to get these before the clouds moved in. I got down I hope they’re ok, it’s hard on my old back!

thanks for your input, I know she needs a lot of work still, but we’re trying 😌

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Cindy Q

Hi Bobbie

I'm not sure if this would work for you/ your husband. But when trimming ponies I know well, I actually often kneel on one knee (put a towel or pad under the knee). Eg. doing the left front hoof, I kneel on my right knee. Have my left foot on the ground with the knee at right angle and rest the horse's foot on my left thigh near the knee. Saves my back a lot! I saw it on Pete's videos I think.

Also, I set my phone camera resting on the ground but I don't put my face behind it. I take a few shots sometimes shifting the camera and eyeballing it from above that it is in line with the through side of the hoof. Then look at the pictures on the phone and delete the lousier ones.
--
Cindy and Glow - Sep 2017, Singapore
ECIR Primary Response

Lorna in Ontario

This worked well for my  back, too, Cindy.

I also used one of those little seats on wheels that mechanics sometimes use. There is a small tray under the seat,which is handy.
I could sit on it, beside my horse's leg, lift his leg onto my knee, and work that way.
I know it's not Pony Club , but I felt that if I needed to move quickly I could use my free foot to scoot myself out of the way....trimmer on wheels.
I never had to test my escape theory because my horses were pretty reliable.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

celestinefarm

Agree with Lorna, using a mechanics stool with wheels works, BUT it needs to be on concrete or firm rubber mats. If that isn't possible, getting your husband a hoof jack is the only way to go. Much safer than trying to hold a horse's hoof between knees(most professional farriers use hoof jacks now).
https://www.hoofjack.com/

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Thanks, Bobbie. I know it's a bit of a contortionist act to get the camera into the right position - thanks for making the effort.

It'll be a couple of days before I can get to the mark-ups. I'll put it up here when they are done.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Bobbie Day

Lavinia,
If you get a chance could you just give me opinions on how much toe we need to still take off?
im hoping that we can get her trimmed up the next couple days. I know your busy, don’t worry about mark ups, I’m just having a hard time convincing my other half we can “safely” and “need to” take a lot more off.
thank you so much

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bobbie,

For now, I would suggest:
-- lower the heels on the RF so that the angle of the coronary band (when Desi is standing squarely on that leg) slopes slightly downward from front to back, then add a bevel to the bottom of the toe area. Right now, it looks like the coronary band slopes upward as you move from front to back
-- bevel the LF from the bottom at a 45* angle, starting about an inch back from where the perimeter of the hoof from 10-2 o'clock actually touches the ground
-- move the breakover of both hind toes back by adding a 45* bevel at ground level in the toe area (10-2 o'clock) starting 1/2 to 3/4 inch back from where the perimeter of the hoof currently makes ground contact

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Bobbie Day

Thanks Lavinia
I just want to confirm that the heel on the RF needs taken off?
I’m pretty sure last time I was to take from the left and leave the right?
Just want to be sure .
Thank you very much
We’ll do our best, trying once again to find a BF trimmer.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Re barefoot trimmers
Facebook has a hoof rehab page that follows Dr K's and Pete Ramey recommendations.  They have a spread sheet on feed and are putting together a list of barefoot trimmers across the US (and maybe Canada?). Here is the link:
Hope this helps!
Nancy Reed and Jazzi
March 2013
San Diego County

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Thank you, Nancy. I need to mention that ECIR does not officially endorse dietary, treatment or trimming advice on outside sites, especially private sites where content is hidden. We also do not recommend the use of spread sheets for diet balancing.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bobbie,

Definitely, it's the RF that needs to have the heel lowered somewhat. DO NOT lower the LF, it is already much too low, although it is also quite underrun.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Bobbie Day

Thanks Nancy
I was a member of Pete’s page and follow the new one but I don’t want too many opinions, I’d rather get them here where her history is known. I did in the beginning literally BEG for a trimmer to help us but anyone that was remotely close didn’t want to take us on, although I received a lot of support I struck out finding someone. We’re several hours away from anyone with the knowledge we need.
Thank you though

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018