New question Re: Salt Block questions

Kandace Krause

I finally was able, and in need, of going the distance to purchase this salt.  On the bag label it says salt, red iron oxide, iodine.  When I google search red iron oxide, it is also known as ferrous and rust so now I am unsure about feeding it to my IR/PPID mare.  Yet their brochure comparing all salt products indicates no, zero iron,  present.
I am confused about what seems to me as conflicting information.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020

What salt did you purchase?
--

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)

PA 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet/Scutch%20Case%20History.pdf

Kandace, you're right that you don't want to add any extra iron to your horse's diet. Customer Service at the manufacturer should be able to clear up your confusion between what the bag says and what the brochure says.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kandace Krause

https://www.canadianagriblend.com/salt-products

Thsi is the link to company page on salt.  Brand I bought is Iodized Salt.  I asked previously of the company and the respondingrepresentative told me there was no iron in it, the PDF on the linked page shows zero iron in the iodized salt and yet the bag label indicates ingredients include "red iron oxide".  It is just confusing because it seems to conflict other sources of information.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Lorna Cane

What did the company say when you contacted them,Kandace?
--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Kandace Krause

Thanks Cass, in a previous contact with the company, the rep told me no iron in product.  I explained why I needed to know.  And he reassured me.  I asked about the pinkish colour and Dr. Kellon indicated that the iron made salts reddish brown, not pink (as this Product is)  I will ask again.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Lorna Cane

What did rep say about the discrepancy,Kandace?
--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Kandace, I assume you're trying to supplement iodine with this salt? I suggest you ask the rep about storage conditions (humidity and heat) and whether they affect the iodine in the salt.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Lavinia Fiscaletti

A guaranteed analysis is not the same thing as an ingredient list.

In the US, the guaranteed analysis doesn't necessarily show everything that is in the product - only the levels of the things they test for.  I don't know if the situation is the same in Canada.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lorna Cane

I think it can be the same here,Lavinia.
I remember a situation concerning iron ,and was told it didn't have to be in the analysis.
This was years ago,so can't vouch for now,but.......

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Kandace Krause

Lavina and Lorna,

In answer to my query (and yours) the reply was " It is used as a colouring agent, and the inclusion rate is so small it's not necessary to include it on our guaranteed analylsis".  Would this be considered safe, taking into account how much is actually fed?
The reason I have tried to source this salt from an agricultural source is that the availability of table salt in my area seems impacted by the whole supply chain problem.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Kandace, can you find plain granulated salt in a 50# bag from your feed supplier?  I’m pretty sure the iodide in iodized salt isn’t adequate for iodine supplementation.  I switched to iodized table salt from non iodized and, it wasn’t until I added Ocean K that I met their iodide needs, according the goiter response exhibited by my Shetland pony.
I have most recently bought iodized Morton’s in a 25# bag via Amazon, but I will ask my feed store to bring a 50# bag on their next, infrequent bedding and cubes delivery.  I can’t imagine why salt needs a coloring agent.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Lorna Cane

Bulk Barn used to order it for me....50lb bags,I think.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Kirsten Rasmussen

If you could find out how much ppm of iron is added, either by asking or by getting it analyzed, we could advise you on whether or not the iron could be an issue.  Otherwise, it's hard to say.  It probably is a minimal amount so if your minerals are balanced to your hay it might not upset the balance.  But without knowing the concentration in ppm, we can say for sure.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lecia Martin

Kandace   you can get 50# bags from UFA
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Kandace Krause

Lecia,
Thanks for your help.  I had seen that UFA carries the Windsor brand.  When I reached out to Windsor, they told me they have discontinued their livestock salts so I opted to try another going concern company.  On the UFA site the ingredient list is not visable either, which is where this was found.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Kandace Krause

Thanks Kirsten,
I will see if I can get that answer.  If analysis required, would that be same company as doing hay?  I would like to have this company learn about how important this is.  When I originally contacted them or dealer (I can't remember now) I was told white salt was bleached.  I sure wish I had kept that original chain of discussion!

What Martha is saying about not enough iodine, is that typical?  If hprse is not getting enough, what does that look like?  I have been supplementing iodized table salt with cobalt iodized livestock salt, in equal amounts, and just realized I was a little shy on amounts given in bucket feed with Dr. K's last wordpress posting on salts.  They have 24/7 access to plain salt and cobalt iodized salt blocks which they use a lot.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Kirsten Rasmussen

Both excessive and inadequate intakes of iodine result in goiters and hypothyroidism.  You want to aim for 3.5 mg/day for a 1000 lb horse, the toxic upper limit is about 40-50 mg/day for a 1000 lb horse.

Iodized table salt does not provide enough iodine for horses.  You will need to add 1.5-2 mg more iodine.  One of the issues with iodine is that when exposed to air, some of it is lost to the atmosphere.  So if your iodized salt is not sealed up, it may lose iodine over time.  Free choice salt sitting out might lose iodine.  So having a second reliable source of it is important.  Most mineral supplements also have added iodine that you can factor in.  Other people supplement kelp (which can have widely varying iodine contents) or use iodine drops.  I rely on iodized salt and Amino Trace+.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

 If analysis required, would that be same company as doing hay?
You might have to call and ask if they'll analyze salt.  It's a weird one.  :)  But the salt manufacturer should be able to tell you how much they add.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

For comparison purposes, here is the analysis of the salt I buy for my horses. This particular salt is iodized, but I still add a little more iodine to make sure they are getting an adequate amount. This salt is 99.8% sodium chloride.
http://publicsalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/morton-iodized-table-salt-data-sheet-50-and-25-bags.pdf