New Radiographs added

Dawn Hernandez

Edited

New radiographs were taken today of Dalli's RF & LF. Vet and Farrier worked together on this visit.
Looking for reviews and also any helpful information regarding Soft Ride boots.

Thanks
--
Dawn Marie & Dalli
Eliot, ME

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Dawn%20and%20Dalli

Was there trimming done based on these x-rays?  If so would you be able to post pictures following the guidelines at https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1482#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help, being sure to either trim the hair or use a wrap/pantyhose to pull it up out of the way so the coronary band is visible.  My short comments are both toes are still too long in these images and that includes the one that was taken after some trimming was done on the right front.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Dawn,

Agree with Sherry's assessment. Toes are still too far out ahead of where they need to be. LF heel is slightly too low which is making the HPA broken back. Significant sinking present in both but sole depth is borderline OK, although with nothing to spare. RF has extensive arthritic changes and bone remodeling along with complete fusion of P2 and P3. LF also showing some arthritic changes.

Soft Ride boots are a good rehab type boot with a supportive, elastomeric gel insert. The pads have a raised frog support and are wedge-shaped, which can be helpful or not depending on individual circumstances. The frog support can be shaved off and the pads cut level for horses who do not need wedging and/or who cannot tolerate the frog pressure they provide. Based on the rads, Dalli doesn't need the wedge but might appreciate the overall support the pads can provide once they are adjusted for his situation.

Would be helpful to see a full set of hoof pix as well.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Dawn Hernandez

I was finally able to get some pics taken. Some are not as good as I would've liked and totally understand if there's a re-do request. It was a little challenging to get those feathers tucked away as well.

Yes, I understand about the long toes. Farriar and vet thought it was best to stop for this visit and not risk soreness. Especially on the Left Front. The fusion is a bit baffling, and the vet suspects it's from an untreated infection. Unfortunately, we will never know.

I have measured and ordered a pair of Soft Rides for him. He continues to move around freely with no sensitivity, but I did wrap his legs for going outside during a cold snap we just had.

As you can see, (hopefully), there is no frog on the Right Front. I'll probably need some advice on how to adjust, if needed when the boots arrive.

--
Dawn Marie & Dalli
Eliot, ME

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Dawn%20and%20Dalli

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for adding the photos and for getting a lot of the hair out of the way.

Definitely need to back the toes up even more - which means at ground level so that the breakover moves back to where the bony column dictates it should be. That won't change the sole depth but will remove the extra lever forces that are currently adding stress to the already compromised coffin bones and joints. The sooner this gets done, the better for Dalli's overall health and comfort. When you do that, the Soft Ride boots you have ordered will be too large, unfortunately. Soft Ride will exchange those for you if they aren't the correct fit - just don't use them before backing his toes up.

If he isn't sensitive and is moving around freely, then there's no need to put him in boots. If you're looking to protect him from possible cold-induced pain, having boots that are a bit too big could be helpful as it allows for adding wool or fleece socks on his feet before pulling the boots on.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Dawn Hernandez

Thank you and I will follow up asap! I actually had to do a little research to fully understand ‘breakover’ in more depth. I got it :)

I also saw how to take correct body shots so I’ll add those to my album as well in the next couple of days.
To me, he stands correctly but want to share in case something is seen that I’m missing.

I guess perhaps I’m still so overwhelmed and paranoid,(if you will), in regards to doing things to help him. He’s come so far in the short month and a half I’ve had him so I certainly don’t want to set him back by putting boots on that could hurt more than help. So, ‘save myself from myself’ as they say.

Thank you again

I’ve got half of the DDT+E managed so onward we go!