New Radiographs, Lavinia please review

dr.kellylear@...

Hello Lavinia,
Would you mind reviewing Saddie’s most recent X-rays from 9/7 and 9/16. I don’t think her rotation or sinking has gotten any worse but I would like your opinion. Also, what is your opinion of her trim. She still has days that she is a lot more sore than others and spending a lot of time laying down. I’m not sure if this is normal or not.

Thank you again for all your help!

Kelly

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kelly,

I agree that there doesn't appear to be any change in the sinking. There's no bony column rotation and there is only a slight amount of capsular rotation left - which can be ignored and allowed to grow out as the hoof capsule grows down. No need to be thinning the dorsal walls to achieve that at this point. Her soles remain very thin, which is going to keep her somewhat tender until she can add sole depth. Keeping her in boots with pads or pads that are cast on to protect those soles will be needed. Experiment with different types of padding to see what she prefers at any given time and be prepared to change that as needed to maximize her comfort.

Allow her too lie down as much as she wants - she's resting her feet as needed. Just make sure she can easily reach hay and water if she prefers that during those times.

Trims need to leave her soles, frogs completely alone. Walls should be maintained at sole level, then beveled so they aren't weight bearing as they aren't attached well and do not need any extra strain added to them. Keep her horizontal toe length from stretching forward as her feet grow out. Heree are a few links with more info:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/DistalDescent.htm

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Coronet.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HeelHeight.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Breakover.html

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

dr.kellylear@...

Hi Lavinia,
Thank you for reviewing the last X-rays. They repeated X-rays again today because Saddie has become non-weight bearing in the left front. They told me she has sunk and rotated more and that she will likely penetrate her pedal bone through her sole. They are recommending euthanasia. This breaks my heart but I was wondering if you could look the X-rays from today and tell me what you think.
One thing I did notice is that her toe is more rounded but her toe has not been touched at all, so I don’t know how this happened. Please let me know what you recommend.

Thank you again,
kelly

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Hi Kelly,

Obviously every situation is different but we have had horses on the list who have penetrated their soles and managed to live through it.  The biggest issue I see with Saddie is that she has NO sole so if she's not in boots 24/7 she needs to be.

dr.kellylear@...

Okay, she is in boots, with deep shavings too. I am really trying to help her. Does she need anything else done?

--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

dr.kellylear@...

They are also applying magic cushion, does that soften the sole?
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Lavinia Fiscaletti

No, the magic cushion has antiseptic properties and the iodine and turpentine should actually harden it to some degree.

I took a quick look at the latest rads - I don't see any change in the amount of sinking but it's really hard to be precise when none of the rads have the coronary band location marked. The sole depth also doesn't appear to have changed since the 9-16-2021 rads but those earlier rads appear to have been taken with the foot wrapped in some way, with some type of padding or packing under the wrapping: is that correct? The latest rads don't show any of that wrapping/padding/packing on them, so the angle of the entire foot is different. The padding had raised the back half of the foot, so was supporting the coffin bone in a better position but with the padding removed, and the heels too low, that has allowed the back half of the coffin bone to settle down lower, causing a broken back HPA. This means we are trying to compare apples to oranges in some ways. It looks to me like most of the changes between the two sets of rads are due to the presence/absence of the wrapping/padding.

Being suddenly more lame on one foot is a classic sign of an abscess building, which can be more painful than laminitis.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

dr.kellylear@...

Thank you again for looking at the new X-rays. Yes, the bet had removed the padding to take the new X-rays to have a better view of possible abscesses. He thinks there is one at the tip of P3. The wraps are back on and she is also in her soft ride boots too with deep bedding.

the vet did mention that he might try to get the abscess drained at the tip of P3 along with groove the hoof wall where the dark area is. ( he said laminar sepwratuon. I don’t think this is a good idea but I wanted to verify with you?

and thank you for letting me know about the magic cushion. I will keep applying with bandage changes every couple of days.

is there anything else I should do for her feet.

thank you again!

Kelly

--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

dr.kellylear@...

Would formahoof, glue on pads with dental
impression, shoes or anything else be a good idea, or just the bandages and soft rides until she grows more sole?

thank you again for helping me! I really appreciate this!

kelly
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Given the current condition of her hooves I would recommend sticking with boots and pads and avoid anything that involves nails or wouldn't be able to be removed easily as she may need frequent trims as her hoof continues to grow out.

dr.kellylear@...

Okay, thank you! I will do that. And is there anything I should do for a trim? Drop the heels or bring back the toe? Or just round the hoof walls for now?
And if she does have an abscess, do you let it work it’s way out of do anything else?

Kelly

thank you so much