New research on Maca - looking for feedback

hdavis

Hello,

From my understanding Maca is not suggested for IR/EMS horses but I was informed of some newer (2021) research on this topic and wondered if ECIR had any comments on this study and if Maca is still not suggested?  And I guess further to that why it’s not suggested to be fed to EMS/IR horses?  TIA.

here is the link to the research.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34136157/

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

I can't even find what type of cells they were using, could you?  Without knowing if they're using humans or rats or something else it'd be hard to say if this would be replicated in horses.  The last info I see on Maca in the messages is here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topic/4972349#207011 and the horse study it references is still the only one out there that I could find.

hdavis

No I didn’t see what kind of cells either. Thanks for the info just had this research sent to me so wanted to ask on ECIR.  Thanks!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

SuzanneC

Hello all, here is info on the cell lines used in the MAGA study that Heather linked to.

This info is from ATCC, a company that provides scientists with diverse collections of biological materials, including not only microbe products but also cell products, molecular genomics tools, and nucleic acids.

Hep G2 [HEPG2] is a cell line exhibiting epithelial-like morphology that was isolated from a hepatocellular carcinoma of a 15-year-old, White, male youth with liver cancer. The cell line was deposited by the Wistar Institute and is a suitable transfection host. Expression markers include insulin; insulin-like growth factor II (IGF II).

--

Suzanne Cannon

Westminster, Maryland 2021

hdavis

Thanks for this info Suzanne. Much appreciated. In lieu of the info Suzanne has shared is using Maca still not suggested for ems/ir horses? Also can someone enlighten me as to why we are supposed to avoid it for ems/ir horses…just so I understand.  TIA.
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Heather,

No one has said to avoid it per se. There is just no validation in horses with EMS or PPID and elevated insulin. Also no information on side effects/toxicity but the equine study in normal horses did describe elevated liver enzymes.

hdavis

Hello,

ok thanks for the clarification Dr. Kellon and I guess I was a bit confused on that it wasn’t to be avoided.  Thanks for setting me straight!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Cindy Giovanetti

For what it’s worth, in a taste test, my two opted not to try Maca.

Cindy

_._,_._,_

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Maxine McArthur

Just a general two-cents-worth, from someone who has dived down (and got stuck in) many expensive rabbit holes of wow-this-might-work wonder supplements -- if you stick to the diet we recommend here, of a good hay or other forage, minerals balanced to that hay, beet pulp or soyhulls as carrier plus whatever taste tempter works for your horse, flax for omega 3s; in addition, making sure the trim is helping not hindering and adding as much exercise as possible for each individual situation; treating diagnosed conditions such as arthritis with products we know are safe; and importantly, giving the changes time to work -- then you likely won't need to waste time and money down those rabbit holes.
There will always be new research, true. But lately I've decided I'm not going to try stuff on my horses until we see solid research on it done with horses. Half the time the darlings won't eat it anyway, as Cindy mentioned.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response