Topics

New test results, unsure of what they mean

Anthie Booras

I pulled blood on Erin about a week ago and was a little disappointing her insulin came back up. It’s not horrible compared to where we started in July but still not the direction I was hoping for. On 9/23 her numbers were glu 98, insulin 32.1, and leptin 12.75. On 11/11 her numbers were glu 103, insulin 46.4, and leptin 12.57. I decided to stop the Metformin all together (was doing a half dose). If her insulin was still lower I was going to retest in two months but with it up and stopping the Metformin I’m going to retest in a month.

I'm happy her leptin has stayed down (in July it was 16.09), but why the increase in insulin? All I can think of is maybe not as much exercise? Her soundness limits what we can do and her work load did drop slightly while we waited to get her hocks done.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Eric's case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anthie%20and%20Erin/Erin%20Case%20History%208-19-20.pdf

Sherry Morse

Hi Anthie,

Could you please clarify - you had cut the Metformin dose in half when?  After the September bloodwork? What was the logic behind this?  I'm wondering why stop it if her insulin was going in the wrong direction with the dose cut in half?  I'd think you'd want to go back up to a full dose so please fill in the details on that.

Has she lost any weight since your last updated your CH?  It looks like she was 1380 on a scale this past February, but you have her listed at 1206 on a weight tape as well as 1204 by the calculator in July - did she lose that much weight in 5 months and has she kept it off?

Anthie Booras

I went to a half dose September 3rd, so before the bloodwork at the end of September. I did bloodwork about 10 days or so after starting Metformin and there wasn’t that much of an improvement so Dr. Kellon suggested stopping all together. I kept her on a half dose after it was suggested it could be helping with neuropathic pain.

I don’t have regular access to a scale so i can’t  say in actual pounds how much she’s lost. The scale is not really comparable to the weigh tape. I use a weigh tape to have a point of reference to compare. Since July when we put her back on strict weighed out meals by me she has lost an inch in diameter from her girth.

I need to get her CH updated. It’s just a bit difficult to do on my tablet and I’ve been doing so many blood pulls i can’t keep up.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Erin's case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anthie%20and%20Erin/

Sherry Morse

I'd like Dr. Kellon to chime in on this because what she said was to cut the metformin and see how she did with everything else the same.  Since her insulin started to go back up I'd think that indicates the metformin was doing some good but of course that's in addition to all the other diet and trim changes as well.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I can't comment on this without an updated history. There's no insulin on metformin in the history.

Anthie Booras

I’ll get an update done as soon as I can. Like I said it’s difficult to do on my tablet. This is the message I posted previously in which you said you’d stop the Metformin. This was from the beginning of September. Her lowest insulin test was at the end of September.

Almost 3 weeks ago I decided to start Erin on Metformin to see if bringing down her insulin would help with any possible foot pain. She’s had so many other issues in her feet it’s hard to decide what is coming from an actual lameness versus what might be coming from high insulin.

I finally got her test results back from checking her insulin 10 days after starting Metformin and I’m not super thrilled. Prior to Metformin she came back at 45.39 ulU/mL using BET Labs. Her blood draw 10 days after starting Metformin came back at 41.30 ulU/mL. (I need to update her case history with today’s result)

I was really hoping for more of a drop given clinically she’s been looking good. In just over the last month she dropped an inch around her girth down to 77.5” and her crest has been looking better. She’s also standing completely square front and back even after exercise. The other significant change to her program has been me going back to weighing out each meal for the guys at the barn so I know for sure now exactly how much hay she’s getting.

So my question now is, do I continue with the Metformin or is it not really worth it with how small of a drop there was in her insulin? For the first two weeks she was quite happy to eat it in her grain, but over the last couple days she has started balking at eating it. I have had to resort to sprinkling cool stance over the top each time she stops eating. She eventually finishes, but if she has anything else available to eat she will not touch it. I will probably have to switch over to mixing it with yogurt and syringing it in at this point, so I’m really trying to decide if it’s worth continuing.”

--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015