Topics

New TRH stim results for Ruger

riggslippert@...

Hello,

Ruger has improved since my last message.  Honestly, it seemed to me that getting him off of the Prascend did the most good for him.  His attitude and energy level have returned to normal.  It is also interesting to note that while on Prascend, his social status fell from boss horse in his group to lowest.  This also reversed once he was off the Prascend.

I implemented all of Dr. Kellon's suggestions for helping his muscle mass.  I increased his flax intake, although he was unable to eat 1 lb/day, it was probably about 3/4 lb.  He was also started on double dose Top 3 Aminos and HMB and DHEA at the recommended doses.  His muscle mass has improved in spite of minimal work.  I do think his hair is longer this winter, but he started shedding in late January, which is typical for him.

I have updated his CH--the new ACTH results are:

Pre TRH ACTH 15.7 pg/mL (range 9-35 pg/mL)
Post TRH ACTH 201 pg/mL (range 9-110 pg/mL)

So he is clearly in the PPID range after stimulation, although his resting level is not.  Does this mean I should treat with pergolide only during the seasonal rise?  If so, when should I start it?  Should I wean him onto it and monitor his response similar to how I did it this year?  Our first experience with pergolide does not encourage me to give it any more than is absolutely necessary, although I know most horses respond positively and Ruger's reaction is atypical.

Thank you to everyone for your ongoing advice!
--
Aunna
October 2018

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Aunna,

I didn't see any mention of APF in your history. If you didn't use it, you should try it next time you start pergolide. There's also a good chance his response in terms of lowering ACTH was poor because it was started at the peak of the seasonal rise.

It's reasonable to give him a break now when his levels are good. Start APF early August and after 2 or 3 days try 0.5 mg pergolide. Increase to 1 mg after a few days if everything goes smoothly. Test ACTH end of August.

riggslippert@...

Thank you Dr. Kellon!  I appreciate having a plan for next time.  The reason I didn't start APF was because he was already on Lung EQ and jiaogulan.  So next August, should I add the APF or stop the others?  I do think the Lung EQ is helping his asthma, although next month will be the real test.
--
Aunna
October 2018
Oakland County, Michigan, USA
Cadet Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Cadet
Ruger Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Aunna%20and%20Ruger

Cadet Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=84102

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Add APF but continue the others as well.