new trim pictures

nikkibob1994@...

I just trimmed darby and have uploaded trim pictures to his album as well as a body pic. If anyone has time to take a peek please. His newest xrays taken this week are there too. Thank you!
--
Nikkibob
Wisconsin, Sept 2018

nikkibob1994@...

I just wanted to bring this up again, if someone could have a look I would very much appreciated it
--
Nikkibob
Wisconsin, Sept 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nikki%20and%20Darby

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

Hi Nikkibob,

It looks like Darby was trimmed after the rads were done?  I think overall you have done a good job and Darby and his hooves look good, but the RF toe looks a bit long still.  I see you already backed it up quite a bit but the lateral view to me looks just a bit too long.

Now for some unsolicited advise.  It looks to me like he's growing out some damaged hoof as it is quite pink and also there is a lamellar wedge indicating stretched lamellae.  Your Case History also notes he is currently laminitic?  His 2021 insulins have been on the high side.  In my limited experience, an insulin of 40 uIU/ml can easily lead to a laminitic flareup, which it seems happens regularly (annually) for Darby.  If you're not already soaking his hay, that would help him a lot.  Is there a reason it's not tested and mineral-balanced?  I can't emphasize enough how important that is for making sure the hay is not the trigger, and that he has the minerals he needs in the correct proportions to grow healthy lamellar connections.  Also, with insulin that high, pasture should be stopped, even in winter unless you know for a fact he is not digging in the snow and eating frozen grass.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

nikkibob1994@...

Hi Kristen!
 Thank you for your input, It is reassuring to hear that I am on the right track with trimming. Yes, the trim was done after the xrays as I hadn't wanted to trim him because of his pain levels but Dr. Kellon said go ahead so I did. It could be the pictures I took are not the greatest, his left and right toe lengths measure the same, so maybe I just got the angles of the pictures  wrong?? I have my hay analyzed every year.  He is on 2nd cut currently (the analysis is in his file), which has an NSC of 6.9 and I do have his minerals balanced to our hay. He is not on pasture, and even in the winter if I catch him digging I do bring him up to the dry lot but mostly he is more than happy just to eat his hay. He just started Metformin a week ago, I was hoping to see some improvement by now but nothing. I want to start him on Prascend as per Dr. Kellon's recommendation and am waiting to hear back from my vet if she will order it. I am going to have another insulin done this week as well as a sugar. Again, Thanks for your advice, I don't consider it unsolicited as it is what I am here looking for after all :)