NSAID withdrawal rebound + Invokana quandary

I had a tapering plan for taking Cayuse off banamine and substituting Phyto Quench with Devil's Claw. I reduced  banamine dose over the course of 5 days and started PQ pellets. Cayuse ate them twice and went on a  supplement boycott. She left a lot of hay on Saturday and spent more time down than up. I'm doing to my best to get calories in her with extra ODTBC, but I'm losing the calories war without BP and about ¼ to ⅓  of her 20 lbs of hay being left.

I gave her a single dose of Ulcergard early on Saturday thinking that was the problem. But after seeing how much she was down in the stall, I think NSAID rebound is a more likely explanation.

I need a new plan. If she weren't on Invokana, having her tough it out might make sense. We can't do that safely.

I think I should give her a reduced dose of Invokana and also give her a 500 lb dose of banamine on Sunday and reinstate a slower NSAID tapering plan.

Other ideas?
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

I should have mentioned higher calorie options that may make sense for the near term. Today I fed more Stabul1 ( 6 cups total instead of 4) and mixed it with 6 pounds of ODTBC. She's eating the mixture.

I haven't given up on PQ. I'm grinding it with Stabul1 and adding a drop of CocoSoya oil. She's nibbling it but not the full 2-3 measures a day she needs for pain control.  She is also eating L carnitine, Jiaogulan and AAKG with a small amount of Stabul1.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Did she start being down more after she stopped eating PQ? How long had she been off Banamine?

Sounds good. I'd stop the AAKG for now in case she has active inflammation somewhere. As long as she is getting full dose of Invokana don't worry about the Stabul1.

I just reviewed her films again and she has early arthritis changes in both pasterns, R worse than L. "Early" on a film does mean much because they are 6 weeks behind what's going on. If you have a local store that carries Conquer gel, I'd try that at double dose for 3 days to see if it helps. Another option is this liquid DC that you could syringe in https://emeraldvalleyequine.com/product/btb-hoof/ . It contains Hawthorne so stop J if you give this.