Topics

Nutrena Topline Balance

bcvincent@...

My barnmate who went to the feed store to get Triple Crown Timothy Balance cubes (they were out) came back with this Nutrena product recommended by the horse feed advisor at the feed store. I realize it is not a forage, but a hay/ grass balancer.    When I searched on it here, it was not recommended.  Lily thought it was delicious and cleaned her pail with the pergolide tablets cleaner than with Stabul nuggets, which she likes fairly well.  By the law of small numbers, would there be any harm in using up the opened bag,  giving her a scant 1/4 cup of the Nutrena, just in the a.m. when she takes her med.?  Or can I give 1 cup in place of one of the 2 cups of  Triple Crown Senior I feed  my gelding who is in a good deal of work and is not at present IR or Cushings,  but I'm told that being a thrifty Arab he is at risk.  I asked about this also on the Horsekeeping site but no response so far.
--
Barbara Vincent
Malvern,  PA

Hi Barbara,
I think it would be remiss of me to recommend you feed Lily something that’s not on the safe feeds list.  Those feeds have been certified to be on that list with appropriate testing as verification. There’s a reason the feeds on the list qualify.

Here is a link to Nutrena Topline Balance.  Balancers are so trendy that even I have never purchased any.  I’m not quite sure what they are except that they have a similar name to Timothy balance cubes.  At my feed store, they call those Timothy balancer cubes.

If you look at the ingredients list, you will see that sugar plus starch is equal by some measure to 14%.  That’s well above the 10% we advocate as a safe cutoff.  It’s possible that you could mix it with another feed of a lower s/s but I don’t believe you can average between meals.  And it would not be an effective way to use up the balancer.  I would also caution that if it’s as tasty as you describe, she is quite likely to pick it out of a mix.

I would return it, retaped, with an explanation.  They might refund you.  Or request that they pass it along to someone who does rescues.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Barbara,

As Martha's already pointed out (as did Patty on Horsekeeping) this feed is well above the 10% ESC + starch we recommend and it's very likely that's the reason that Lily thought it was so delicious. Given that Lily has already had laminitis and we know she's sensitive to sugar and starch this would not be something I would feel comfortable feeding her, even at a handful at a time.  As far as feeding it to your gelding, while the ESC+starch is similar to TC Senior the protein content is much higher and it's meant to be fed in a completely different way.

I would see if you could return it to the store as Martha suggested or the other option would be to use it as a treat for your gelding here and there until the bag is gone - we've done that with some feeds that we've gotten and we're not going to use but a handful here and there is something different for the horses.

Hi Barbara,  I just wanted to clarify my reason for returning the bag or passing it on.  This will definitely not apply to everyone but It helps out my management.  I made the decision a few years back to keep all the feeds and treats in my barn IR friendly, even though not all of the horses here need that tight management.  I have other people in my barn on a regular basis, both as helpers and visitors, and now I don’t need to worry about what they might pass out as a treat and who gets what.  Regardless of what you decide to do with it, I would let the feed advisor know that it’s not a suitable replacement for Timothy balance cubes.  Also, advise the feed store of your needs going forward so they will have plenty of cubes available for you when you need them.