Ontario Balance Cubes ok before Insulin/glucose test?

Sherry LaMarche

My vet is coming at 10:30 tomorrow am to pull another blood test for Insulin/Glucose
after my Mustang tested out at 199.69uIU/ml with a reference range of 10-40.
He's coming out of a laminitic episode that happened in March when he got a few
hours of dead grass that was on the edges of his drylot track.

Blue only had our low sugar hay that Dr. Kellon reviewed last fall prior to this
last blood draw, and he gets about 1 flake at a time and he was stalled the
night prior.  I am thinking of only giving him the Balance cubes prior to testing
this time (starting at about 3am before) and wondering if that would work.
I want to see if the hay that was tested was actually the hay that was
delivered.

Any thoughts?
--
Sherry L., SE Wisconsin, 2009
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20LCassie

Sherry Morse

You can draw blood 4 hours after first feed of the day if the horse is fasting so no need to get up at 3am, you can feed at 6:30 and be fine for testing at 10:30am.

The only way to check the hay would be to test that, not the horse.

One other thought: check ACTH as well because uncontrolled PPID can drive high insulin.

You’re due for a CH update, too. That first page has a place  for the date of the update. It’s easy to miss, and your CH is blank as to the date of the form.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kirsten Rasmussen

I'm not sure your question was answered?  Maybe it was?  My take on it is that you can feed any type of forage, like hay, hay cubes, or pasture....if your horse normally eats these things.   If you feed the hay cubes you'll see how your horse responds to them in the bloodwork.  If you feed your hay,  you'll see how your horse responds to that hay.  Same with pasture.  I would feed your horse's normal forage because that will tell you what his insulin is like most of the time.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History