Topics

organic iron and low sugar

Eva

I was listening to a posdcast featuring the daughter of RIva's Remedies - Elisha Edwards.  Elisha is a EMS/IR nutritionist per her website.  She said in the podcast that she is using organic iron to displace inorganic iron in overload horses.  This makes no sense to my pharmacist mind - does anyone have any other feelings about this or any direct experience with what shes offering?

On a separate note - on another podcast the vet host said "low sugar hay starves horses" - totally not true right?  I was disappointed in her PPID review....

happy to post the links if anyone wants them
--
Eva and Anske - IR
October 2017 Corvallis OR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Eva,

On the iron claim - pure nonsense.  Science fiction.  Organic iron is simply iron delivered in an organic framework, like hemoglobin or iron gluconate. It's absorbed by different mechanisms so doesn't compete in the intestinal tract. The iron itself is the same whether in an organic or inorganic compound.  The iron will be stripped away from the organic carrier to become elemental iron - just like the iron from inorganic compounds. No difference. No displacement.

Ditto for the sugar statement. No organism has a nutritional requirement for sugar or any other carbohydrate. Not frogs, not people, not horses. We can all synthesize all the glucose we need from other substances. The horse's  major source of calories is fermentation of fiber and any other form of carbohydrate in the large intestine. Starvation = insufficient calories (and protein).  DE of hay is from both simple and complex carbohydrates. Both are sources of calories.

Eva

Dr K

yes exactly!  Sometimes when I hear these crazy things and still feel less than 100% confident I need to be reassured. Glad to know my logical mind is functioning!!  Also disappointing that there is a platform for misinformation!!

--
Eva and Anske
October 2017 Corvallis OR
Case History Anske 2009 Friesian Mare https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Eva%20and%20Anske

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Unfortunately, misinformation isn't hard to find - especially (but not exclusively) on "alternative" sites.

Cindy Giovanetti

I listened to it too.  I’m always hopeful that someone will discover a magic bullet for us.  (LOL).  Unfortunately, she hasn’t.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Bendhorsetalk@...

I would love to know the podcast. Thanks!
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

I listened to one of Elisha's podcasts recently.   My take away was there was no useful information shared (and some of it was even incorrect) and it was basically 1 hr of advertising to sign up (pay) for her program, in which you could determine which of her 4 diets would help your metabolic horse.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History