Topics

Padding in Boots - Sheep's Wool??

lorraine.dearnley@...

Hi Everyone,

I am struggling to get my mare comfortable and need to change the type of padding in her boots. I was just wondering what you all use and whether anyone has tried sheep's wool?

Thanks
--
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lorraine%20and%20Evie

Lorraine D in UK 2020

Trisha DePietro

Hi Lorraine. What type of padding are you currently using? And comfort can come from a diaper taped onto the sole, styrofoam- taped to the bottom of the sole....I am not sure about wool...Raw fleece would still have lots of lanolin in it and I'm not sure I would want lanolin on the sole of a laminitic horse....but if you had a washed and very dense wool- very dense and you packed it into a sock then placed the sealed sock in the bottom of the boot....that might work...but you would need to keep the wool from shifting around in the sock and creating uneven pockets of support. You can also use a closed cell foam in the boot as well...you might have to try different things before you hit on what offers the best relief. I am sure others will chime in too!
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

I have bought pad material from happyhoofpads.com. The business owner has a wide range of pad types. You buy square pieces and cut them to shape for the interior of your boots. Good variety of pad material and affordable prices.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Patti Shores

I have cut up a wool saddle pad and used that in a boot.  My mare liked that padding better than anything else.
--
Patti and Penny
Washington, USA

lorraine.dearnley@...

That sounds like a good idea and I have got some old saddle pads that I could cut up. Did you replace it regularly as I wondered how much it squashed down?
--
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lorraine%20and%20Evie

Lorraine D in UK 2020

Bobbie Day

I actually started using this, our puppy tore up my hubbys good slippers so I used the soft wool for inside Desi’s boots and it worked perfectly!
So much so I just ordered some from Amazon, it didn’t make her sweat and kept her really warm.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Patti Shores

I didn't have to replace them, Penny was only on them a few days.  But one saddle pad can make a lot of pads.
--
Patti and Penny
Washington, USA

Lynn

I had garden kneeling pads which are made of dense memory foam that I cut up and turned into pads for Relevante's boots during his recovery. I was even able to double them if he needed it and they worked great.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Jo Ellis

Hi Lorraine

I've used wool felt in scoot boots for two years and find it a good pad, wears well and can be hand washed when necessary. I buy white 25W 6mm and 10mm from this company https://www.anglotechnicaltextiles.co.uk/wool-felt/ They sell it by the metre, you can get part metres too as its quite dear. I can't use it in Renegades as it gets pushed out the back as the horse walks!
Hope that helps
--
- Jo - May 2016 Wales, UK
Devon Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jo%20and%20Devon