pasture analysis

Sheila

We recently moved and I had a pasture analysis done.  We are in Montana and it is considered high plains so the grass is not really green even now.  As far as I can tell, this should be safe to graze?  I have added the analysis to my files, but the ESC is 3.0 and starch is .3 .  I just wanted to make sure i am reading the report correctly before I start letting my horses graze on this pasture.  Right now they are only out a couple hours with muzzles, but I am hoping they can spend at least half days on here without muzzles?
--
Sheila
October 2017

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sheila%20and%20Daniel

Trisha DePietro

Hi Sheila. Congratulations on your move to Montana!  Based on Daniels case history from 2018- I would not risk putting him  on any type of grass- brown, green or otherwise, without a muzzle.. While your test looks safe, what I have learned here is that pasture grasses and their sugar content can be variable through out the day. Sunny days, cloudy days, rain, shady areas vs sunny spots, long grass vs short and overgrazed grass...there are so many variables and effects on the sugar content of the grasses. Your test is just a snapshot in time.  The safest thing for Daniel is to wear his muzzle. When you get a chance, it would be helpful to update your case history with current feeding, etc.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

cymraes58

Thank you for your response Trishia.  I wasn't clear in my question. I was only going to let Max and Maddie graze.  Daniel is kept on a dry lot.  I will update all of their histories. I plan to get them all tested in July.
--
Sheila and Daniel & Max
Boulder, MT

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sheila%20and%20Daniel.

Trisha DePietro

I would muzzle Maddie and Max until you have clear testing back- Avoiding laminitis, as you know, is key...and until I had some definitive testing and observation of their current health, body scoring, diet etc. I wouldn't risk them. I'd keep them muzzled until you have more information.... Hope this helps.