PEA

LJ Friedman

Please let me know when someone has dropped the Prevacox  and switch to Pea- um  and has had good effect.  Don’t i remember reading some gastric upset with the horses? Diarrhea etc.?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Deborah Odell

I had a thoroughbred diagnosed with shivers when he was 4 years old.  The best treatment advice I got was a high fat low starch diet (rice bran), lots of Vitamin E and regular exercise.  With him it got progressively worse. He was rideable until around 15. I kept him on pasture and he was quite happy but it became harder and harder for him to pick up his hind feet, and I had only one farrier who had the sensitivity, patience and technique together his feet done. (The hinds would spasm terribly and then my horse would become increasingly anxious. Dennis had the perfect combination of empathy, patience and bravery to help him through it.z) Cooper lived until 23; when he colicked last year, I chose to put him to sleep.  He was a kind and beautiful horse.  No ecir. That's his pasture mate.

Bobbie Day

I think I am going to stop the CBD myself, I stocked up on everything but I started giving the flakes (for lack of a better word) to our other mare, she has gotten so spooky this last year it seems to help her and the pellets to my gelding that’s really arthritic in his shoulder.
I have had to relent and give Desi some Previcox a couple times in the last week. I’m sure we need to trim her and can’t imagine doing it right now with her knee. Her feet seem to be better but it’s torture trying to make the poor girl comfortable. I know the PEA will take awhile but I feel like it’s time to try something else.
She was doing really well on PQ as well until it ran out, coincidence I guess. 😞

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

jmc

I've been using the Elevation Terpenes PEA for Yankee - no laminitis but with PSSM2 he has plenty of other pain issues, especially in the winter. I'm taking a pill for my RA, I think it's helping but unsure. Maybe need to up the dose.

My biggest problem with Yankee is that the PEA powder seems to be rather hydrophobic, which made things difficult as he get soup due to past chokes, it would not mix in well and there'd always be very expensive white powder left when I dumped his food... so now I'm mixing it with a bit of oil, and that's working much better. I'm unsure there's much of a change at 2mg 1/day, so I'm upping it to 3mg. He only gets his soup for the evening meal.

Dr. Kellon, you said you're taking the powder yourself, too? Straight up? Not sure I can do that...

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Shannon Chastain

Been trying to follow this thread I don't  always get all the emails. Can you tell me where to get it?

Thanks
Shannon
2009ish

Summer
Shannon Chastain
Missouri
June 2010

Nancy C

Hi Dr Kellon and all ~

Our experience is quite good here:

20 y/o PPID QH Skip with typical bad caudal foot issues started 2400 mg 2Xs a day. We have been working to rehab the foot for a couple of years now.  Getting there, but still very stiff body-wide and toe stabbing to a degree. Relief seen immediately. He was able to keep up with this big-strided TWH brother, who is half his age. Rolled back to 1200 mg 2Xs a day and he's still doing well.

Almost 70 y/o human with sciatica and right leg/knee issues of soft tissue nature started 800mg 1X per day.  Relief within two days. Sleep is heavenly. Rolled back to 400 mg 1X per day.  Still doing well.

IMO, the results are worth the cost. I've tried a zillion thing on Skip and on me. This is what has worked. I have only one kidney so the fact that it is not processed through the liver or kidneys is also important.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Deborah,

Vitamin E is good advice for any neurological issue. However, the low carb, high fat diet suggestion originated from a suggestion that Shivers was linked to EPSM in some way which has been proven to be false. The highest risk breeds for EPSM are also high risk for Shivers but any any association in any individual horse was coincidental https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16379634/ .

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Nancy, how do you feed the PEA um to your horse and how do you take yours?

I am planning to start today.

Thx Nan
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

LJ,

As far as I know there are no reports of gastric upset or diarrhea with PEA in horses.

Having read through this thread a number of times, I am ready to order some, for me!  If it works for your right knee, Nancy, it might help my left with its arthritis and torn PCL of years back.  Do you need to weigh it each time or is it easy to convert the dose to a measuring spoon?  Is 100 g a good place to start to give me a good trial?  Thanks!
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Martha,

The ElevatIon Terpese powder has a tsp to mg measurement chart.  I personally prefer the pure powders to capsules with lord knows what in them. Typical human dose is 600 mg twice daily for three weeks then once daily.

Bobbie Day

Bobbie Day

Wow Nancy that is encouraging, I’m tempted to try it on myself. I’ve had back issues for several years and have lots of hardware, nerve damage in both legs so I can relate to Desi’s pain. I already have it so I think tomorrow I’m going to try it again.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

Thank you, Dr. Kellon!  For some reason, I could not expand the photo on their website and I could not read the details.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

This is a little easier to read https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713-UegFXGL._AC_SY741_.jpg

mind my asking dosage for arthritic dog 75 pounds?   And once or twice daily??

Neighbors dog ;(  but I hate seeing her limping ...

Thanks so much!

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

My dog that size is benefiting from 400 mg once a day.  Another option would be 200 to 300 mg twice a day. PEA is tasteless so easy to administer in food or sprinkled on a corner of bread and butter then folded up.

Nancy C

For Skip, I add it to his meals.

For me, I mix it in a little bit of whatever we are having for dinner, or olive oil.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

jmc

I'm buying a pill with straight PEA for myself: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085X4WKRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For Yankee, it's working much better to mix it with about 1/2oz of oil before putting it in his soup. I even experimented by pouring the oil mixture into a couple of Dimples treats, and capping them with a bit of German Horse Muffin... that worked but it'd take three of these to give a full dose, so not really advisable ... trying to work out how the best way to give him a morning dose without having to syringe it. I think he's responding to getting it once a day, now that he's getting the full dose, but I guess the instructions are to give twice a day for some length of time, *then* go down to once a day...

--
Jodi
June 2018
NW Wyoming

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I started taking 600mg twice a day yesterday, and it has allowed me to stop taking advil for my shoulder.  I am.literally blown away..  My left shoulder is partially frozen and now I can swing my arm in a full circle and almost a full rotation with no pain. Prior to this I had alot of pain at the end of the day and could only do a partial rotation but couldn't bring my arm near my ear.  I still have twinging pain when I hit the top of the rotation but it has only been two days.

I started Vinnie and Summer too, but I could have skewed the result because I gave them both adequan on the same day to start... but I am seeing positive changes already... stay tuned.

--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer