Pergolode and Siberian ginseng

Lesley Bludworth

Sophie could not tolerate me taking her up to the 1 mg dose of pergolide in early fall and was only on .5 mg.
I took her off about 3 weeks ago thinking it wasn't therapeutic and not certain if she is PPID.
This also coincided with new hay (soaked).
Her insulin shot up to 147 so I started her on the pergolide again.
She has been getting a table spoon of ginseng powder for the last 6 weeks and now she is not having any issue with the pergolide.  I had dosed her heavily with the APF when trying to increase her pergolide before.
Happy to see this is working and its pretty affordable,1 lb from starweat botanical is only $24 and has lasted quite a while.
Full 1mg dose. Will retest insulin in 2 weeks

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022

Lesley, please read how Asian ginseng promotes insulin release. That is the last thing you want for Sophie with insulin that high.
https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/safe-supplements-for-metabolic-horses/

Hyperinsulemia in horses is quite different from diabetes in humans. If Sophie were mine, I’d stop Asian ginseng ASAP.

What were your results using APF for several days beforing starting pergolide?

Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Lesley Bludworth

Cass,
I'm not sure what the difference is between Asian and Siberian ginseng is but this ginseng is the same ginseng found in the APF formulas so I'm not sure how this is unsafe when the APF is safe?
I did start the APF 3 days before giving the in the past and it did not help when I took her up past. .5 mg.
If the correct dose of pergolide will help balance her insulin then, I'm happy to give it.
I can stop in a week or so
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022
Sophie TWH mare IR/EMS, PPID?
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

There is no true ginseng in APF.  Eleutherococcus senticosus is called Siberian ginseng but it's not really a ginseng. https://www.ginsanaproducts.com/health-insights/energy-immune-system/a-history-of-ginseng/

www.drkellon.com  BOGO 2 for 1 Course Sale Through End of January

Lavinia Fiscaletti

There is no ginseng in any of the APF formulations.

There is Echinopanax elatus, Asian Devil's Club, which is related to Panax ginseng (Asian ginseng) but has very different qualities.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lesley Bludworth

Okay great!
Siberian "ginseng" is what she is getting and a bag of it is pretty cheap compared to the APF and seems to be doing the same job.  I'm assuming I'm just giving more of it than what 8 ml of APF provides since it also has several other adaptagens in it.

Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)

Siberian ginseng, despite its name, is actually not a ginseng as it does not contain ginsenosides. It is instead rich in eleutherosides, the active constituent that provides the adaptogenic effects of this herb. Siberian ginseng can be used long term to help increase energy and the body’s resistance to stress, and is commonly used to alleviate general fatigue, and improve mental and physical performance during periods of stress.

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022
Sophie TWH mare IR/EMS, PPID?
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Lesley Bludworth

Yes, when I entered Eleutherococcus senticosus,
Google gave me Siberian Ginseng.
Sharing that the 1 lb bag is lower cost than APF and that it is effective in the case of Sophie not suffering the pergolide veil, was my intention of my post.
Good to know some of the differences in ginseng and other adapagens