PHYTOQUENCH and Devil's Claw

Starshine Ranch

I was reading in someone else's post where Phytoquench and Devil's Claw was mentioned to use instead of Equioxx.  I just started Midnight on one tab of Equioxx for two weeks and then to reduce to 1/2 tab after that.  I am concerned about Nsaids.  She has joint stifness in her hocks and has a very hard time keeping her feet up for the trimmer but otherwise moves fine on the trail and is not lame at all.  Would she benefit if I switched?
Awaiting new test results from blood drawn on Monday last and will post as soon as I get them... with fingers crossed!
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Sherry Morse

Hi Linda,

The answer is 'it depends'.  If you're looking for a product to give her to hep when the farrier is there I would consider a one off NSAID administration (ie: bute) administered prior to the visit along with support wraps while she's being trimmed.  If you're looking for something long term I'd be much more comfortable with the Phyto-quench with Devil's Claw than a NSAID.  That would be for any horse, not just an IR/PPID one.  Other options would be a round of Adequan, Pentosan or hyaluronate.  Some people are using PEA with good results - if you do a search in the messages you can probably find info on that.

Cheri Tillman-Anderson

Hi, Linda - I was using Phyto-Quench for my IR horse and loved it, but supply delays have made it hard to keep in stock for Uckele.  So I ordered straight Devil's Claw Root (powder) and because it's very bitter, I got Beet Root powder as well.  I miss the antioxidants in Phyto-Quench but my hay is balanced and my horse can now consistently have Devil's Claw on a daily basis for maintenance.  I give a little less than what was in the PQ because he's doing well now, but I can always increase it if he is in pain.  The beet root powder seems to work - a tiny pinch - in covering the bitterness of the DC.
--
Cheri
May 2020 New Mexico

Starshine Ranch

Hi Cheri,
thank you SO much for responding.  What kind of pain was your horse having and was there inflammation involved?  Midnight has pain in both her hocks and I neglected to add they are a bit inflamed.  Will the Devil's Claw help with inflammation?  I would love to be able to stop the Equioxx.
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Starshine Ranch

Thank you, Sherry...
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Starshine Ranch

Cheri,
I just googled devils claw and saw Uckele sells it as a joint supplement.  Is this what you get?
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Cheri Tillman-Anderson

Hi, Linda -

Herbalcom.com is where I found the powder (the invoice will show Ameriherb Intl in Ames, IA).  It is whole ground root (1% harpogosides) with nothing else if I understood correctly.  My IR horse came up very lame in one front foot after a cold spell earlier this year.  I started him on Phyto-Quench for maintenance once he was better although, as you noted, supply from Uckele can be up and down these days.  With the straight Devil's Claw root (no other ingredients), he is on a low-maintenance dose now for comfort (and reassurance for me).  He gets about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp per day ... figuring that is somewhere around 2000 to 2500 mg.  Phyto-Quench has 5000 mg of Devil's Claw per dose, plus great antioxidants.  Devil's Claw takes a day or so to be integrated into the system, so it isn't instant relief.  Once in the system though, it can be as helpful as Bute for pain.  If my horse has another episode of lameness, I will increase the DC, depending on severity, rather than giving him Bute.

I want to stress that I think Uckele's products are excellent.  Supply problems and resulting delivery delays were a problem for me and they are costly.  This is working out very well for us so far.
I hope this helps; best of luck!

Cheri
--
Cheri
May 2020 New Mexico
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheri%20and%20Chama

Starshine Ranch

Hi Cheri,
Thank you again for all this info.  I have decided to keep her on the Equioxx (since I already have it) and reduce to 1/2 pill/day after the intital 2 weeks, for about another month and then I will switch to the Phytoquench or straight Devil's claw w/ the beet root powder as you suggested.  I figure if I get her started on the Equioxx, then the transition might be smoother to the other and if the Phyto or straight Devil's claw isn't effective for her, I can go back to Equioxx... but hopefully not!
You were a great help and you give me hope that I can control her joint pain without an Nsaid.
Thank you, again,
Linda
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt

Hi Linda,

My two have arthritis and I switched to Bulk Supplements on Amazon Devils Claw. 1-2 tsp in morning. They sell in a 1 kilo bag. Fast shipping. Mine seem to like the Smokey taste. It smells good to me too. They get with spirulina for allergies and immune support mixed with flax mostly, hemp pellets the other days for those aminos and a few other supplements plus Uckele VM. It’s been effective. Storm also had a tendon injury 2016 that has remnant discomfort and this has his walk nice and smooth.
--
-Brenda

September 2020, Dodgeville WI USA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Brenda%20and%20Stormy/Stormy%20and%20Brenda  .
Stormy Photo Album

Starshine Ranch

Thank you, Brenda!  I am so pleased to hear of so many Nsaid alternatives.  I will check out Amazon's... I'm a Prime member so yay!