Plain beet pulp

K Hanneson

I have a question about how long to stay on plain beet pulp as a carrier for supplements.  In relation to maintaining a good calcium:phosphorous ratio, I've read that beet pulp contains oxalates that bind to the calcium and reduce bio-availability, and have been advised to add some alfalfa cubes to the base as another source of calcium.  I know that alfalfa hay is not recommended, but would alfalfa hay cubes, or a timothy/alfalfa blend, be something to consider - in moderation, how much is too much, and would it serve this purpose re Ca:P ratio if substituted for some of the beet pulp?

Thank you!
--
Kathy H in ON 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Magni

Candice Piraino

Alfalfa is not recommended in any form for metabolic horses, as it can make sensitive horses footsore. You are welcome to try of course, but I would advise against it. Your horse can stay on plain beet pulp for as long as they are eating their vitamins and minerals. The beet pulp should be just enough for them to eat their vitamins and minerals, unless you are trying to add weight to your horse ( I always recommend forage first). You can always try a timothy pellet that has been tested as your base carrier as well.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

celestinefarm

Kathy,
Beet pulp contains very low levels of oxalates and is not a concern.  Please see Dr. Kellon's article regarding beet pulp myths.

Beet Pulp | Dr. K's Horse Sense (wordpress.com)

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Bobbie Day

Kathy,
I have been feeding my whole herd BP for years, I find it very cost effective when you have several horses to get supplements into. Just be sure to rinse, soak and rinse again. My horses have never refused or grown tired of them. I am sure I am not the only member that feeds it on a daily basis.
--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2019

Deb Walker

Kathy - Scotty gets about 2 1/2 lbs of beet pulp a day (non-molasses/RSR) mixed in with his ODTB soaked cubes, which is his sole diet minus supplements. He has been getting this amount for quite some time. Last year, I wondered if he needed so much, and started cutting down the amount, with no reduction in his ODTB soaked cubes. When my vet came, she commented that he had lost some weight and wondered if I had changed anything. At first it didn't register that I had cut out some of the beet pulp until a light bulb went off in my head. As soon as I told her she said, "That's it. Put him back to where you were." I did, he gained weight, and has maintained well ever since.

Hence, I really appreciated reading Dr. Kellon's article regarding beet pulp facts. If your horse doesn't need to gain or maintain weight, it's probably safe to say they don't need as much beet pulp, but this is what has worked well for me.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

celestinefarm

If anyone is really interested in how sugar beets are grown , harvested , and the sugar extracted, leaving the beet "pulp" that we feed to our horses, this link to the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative is an excellent site. Lots of reading as they take you step by step with photos to end product. Michigan is also a very active sugar beet growing state, and if you are driving by the fields in mid michigan in the fall, it is amazing to see the line of trucks bring huge piles of what looks like funny shaped potatoes out of the fields.
Sugar Process - Intro (smbsc.com)

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

K Hanneson

Thanks everyone for comments and references re beet pulp. Turned out to be a bit of a rabbit hole looking into pesticides, oxalates, iron, etc.  I'm only using it as a carrier for supplements so will carry on as I have been (about 1 cup = .4 lb).
--
Kathy H in ON 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Magni

This was a fascinating read....thanks so much for posting!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

Sue Flores

Wow, if beet pulp goes through that much pressing and processing,  makes you wonder what we are rinsing out in the rinse-soak-rinse process!

Sue Flores
Sonoma County, California
NRCPlus 06-20

COH, Jan 2020

Lorna Cane

Dirt, iron and excess sugars are removed with this process.

Lavinia says it well,here  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/266555?p=,,,20,0,0,0::created,0,rinse+beet+pulp,20,2,0,84230557

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Sue,

That first soak process, which generates the pulp, separates out remaining dirt with the pulp.

ESC and iron are reduced the most by RSR. We have before and after RSR analyses in Files for BP that is RSR with my highly processed reverse osmosis water. My water will dissolve just about anything that is water soluble - city or well water may rinse out fewer things.

Compare the dry matter analyses side and side and you can see. Here's Speedibeet BP from same bag.
Dry out of the bag: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/1.%20Beet%20Pulp/SpeediBeetDry.pdf
RSR Speedibeet: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/1.%20Beet%20Pulp/Speedi%20Beet%20RSR.pdf

I'm planning to run another side by side, same bag comparison with another batch of BP shreds. They seem very dirty this year.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Kirsten Rasmussen

Nancy,

I believe Kathy meant 0.4 lb dry.  I just weighed 1 cup of my beet pulp pellets yesterday and it came to about 7 oz, so 0.4 lb makes sense.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

K Hanneson

Yes, that's correct, 0.4 lb dry.  Thanks for clarifying!