poop eating

Angie

My PPID gelding is now eating horse poo.  He's had soft stools for months and we've been trying a different things. He was on psyllium for six weeks with no change, then we tried Absorb-All (gave him diarrhea).  The last thing my vet suggested was taking him off hay altogether and putting him on the TC cubes only for 6 weeks.  His stools were inconsistent. Sometimes almost normal, then very soft and wet.  We didn't see real consistent improvement on the cubes so I slowly started to introduce grass hay back in to his diet two weeks ago. His stools started to look better with the hay but now they are real soft again.  He's getting two pounds of grass hay four times a day along with the soaked TC cubes.  But now he's eating horse poo!  Has anyone else dealt with this? He's driving me crazy.
--
Angie
October 2020, Mendocino County, CA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angie%20and%20Jacob
Jacob's Photo Album:

DEBBIE GIRARD

I have a gelding with cushings/ IR that is the cleanest horse I have ever owned.cant even get him to walk in his own poop. He’s in a walk out situation and 100% of the time he leaves his stall to pee and poop and then goes back in to eat…..up until I had to put him on Timothy Balanced Cubes. Within 3 weeks of having the cubes as his sole forage he was eating his poop also! He was getting 15 lbs cubes broken up into numerous small meals but although it was enough to hold his weight it just doesn’t satisfy him mentally or physically. I now have added 5 - 7 lbs of soaked hay in slow feeder nets and it’s made a huge difference..no more eating poop.

--
Debbie Girard/Massachusetts/2021

Ditte

   His own poo or from another horse? If it's from another horse with good healthy gut bacteria it could be his way of fixing the problem. I've also heard of it done in human medicine.
--
   Ditte
   Denmark

Kathleen Rauchle

I feel your pain. My mare did this when she became bored between meals. I actually spread her meals out between 5 different bags in different locations, her porta grazer, and also a hay ball at night(loves the ball). I also ride or walk her daily if can 20-30 minutes to help with boredom.

It also could be he is looking for good gut bacteria. When our gelding had loose stools, salt and a Probiotic helped him.
--
Kathleen R
Central WI

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathleen%20and%20Echo

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathleen%20and%20Echo/KATHLEEN_RAUCHLE_top_field_1st_crop_rounds_Mixed_grass_hay_2021-08-27_395849_1264%20%282%29.pdf

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathleen%20and%20Echo/KATHLEEN_RAUCHLE_2021_2nd_crop_sm.sq.grass_Mixed_grass_hay_2021-08-27_395848_1263%20%282%29.pdf

Angie

Debbie, thank you for responding.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this.  This makes sense. Hopefully, as I increase his hay (he prefers to eat hay over cubes), the problem will resolve. I thought he could be trying to get some good gut flora by eating poo-like foals will do (he has eaten both his poo and his buddies poo).  But maybe it's just that he's bored and needs to be chewing.  He does love to eat and would eat constantly if given the chance.