Topics

Possible acute laminitis in rear hoof

valerie puryear

My 23y/o Arab PPID and IR mare came out of her stall lame on the left rear this morning.  I let her move about for about 30 minutes and she came back and put herself in her stall. Vet coming this afternoon. LR hoof is warm and there is bounding pulse. And yes, she has been on some grass-limited to 2 hours in the morning. Her hay was tested-and I accidentaly deleted report, but was fine for sugar and starch- below 10% combined.
Her last bloodwork from Cornell ACTH--43.2 Insulin 30.62. On 1 mg Prascend a day. Looks and feels great-until this morning. Weight @ 950lbs.
 I suspect she needs to go on emergency diet immediately. SHe refuses to eat the Timothy balance cubes. Can I mix with RSR nonmolassassed beet pulp? Going to go and soak her hay right now!
And yes, I need to update her CH!

Valerie and Matera
Aug 2018
Athens, GA, USA
Case History
Photo Album

Hi Valerie,

That sounds much more like an abscess than laminitis.  However, as far as your question, yes you can use RSR beet pulp as a carrier.

valerie puryear

SHerry, you get the prize of the day! She does have an abscess- vet didn't get it completely open, buy cur away enough sole to take the pressure off. SHe's in a drawing poulitce with a duct tape boot and soooo much more comfortable! Thanks!
 BTW- ;ast night I fed her timothy balance cubes soaked and mixed with RSR beet pulp- and she ate it!

--
Valerie and Matera
Aug 2018

So glad I guessed that right LOL!  We've had a couple of really weird abscesses the last few years at my boarding barn including one pony that was off on her left front but showed evidence of a burst abscess on her right hind and my guy whose leg blew up for a week so it's kind of nice when it's something relatively straightforward. Hope she's back on track soon!