Topics

post # 241486/ dr kellon

Daisy Shepherd

hi dr kellon, new labs are in case hx from 10/01/19. i guess i do not understand how tiko has gone back to the uncompensatig ir. his labs 6/17/19 his ratio was 4.8 now 4.4, risqi was 0.22 now 0.21, mirg was 8.1 now 8.0; was compensating now uncompensating with numbers so close or the same yet says now uncompensating. i just do not understand.  leptin done 5/2019 at 9.04 now 10.4 and i have significantly increased his work more trot more canter . again, just do not understand,  he is a canadian horse by breed, more like a light draft or Morgan, are there different studies for those breed types?  thank you for your help, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Those numbers are so similar I would consider them unchanged. There's a numerical cutoff in the calculator readings but you don't have to take it to mean a dire change. He was on the line between the classifications before, and is still in that borderline zone. There can be that much variation/"error" in lab tests. Light drafts have been reported to have a rise in leptin induced by exercise: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25130711 .

Has he lost any weight?

Daisy Shepherd

yes he has lost  weight. his weight with my weight tape stays just below 1100 pounds, his weight looks really good. i do arena 4 to 5 x per week with one trail ride per week. thanks, daisy and tiko