Topics

PPID without IR and Grazing

Anna Dolly

good morning, y'all,
I have a question and I hope it makes as much sense as it seemed to in the middle of the night. Babe's diagnosis of PPID is mild, and vet and I are both hoping it's seasonal, but don't know that yet.
I have substituted the alfalfa mash with orchard/timothy mash (much to both my horses' disappointment). They both get Triple Crown Senior and I'm splitting their rations into 3 meals, rather than the 2 they used to get. All their hay (brome) is steamed, due to Babe's heaves, and they get as much as they care to eat.
My question is about grazing. They are currently on a lot that's close to an acre and while I seeded it this spring, prior to all this abscess and laminitis and PPID business was known, little came up because the 1/2 acre pen I had them in flooded and I had to put them back on this lot. There is some greenery, mostly weeds, but they do find a blade or two to nibble on occasionally.
With no IR in the picture, next year would it be safe to let them graze on the 1/2 acre some? I've always been careful about acclimating them when they've had none at all, and I wouldn't just turn them out and walk off, it would be limited, both because it would need to be and a half acre that's only about half grass wouldn't last long anyhow.
thoughts, please?
--
Anna Dolly
Keyser, WV

Kirsten Rasmussen

I think it is very unlikely you will have a problem with Babe being on grass as he has only been diagnosed for PPID and because Thoroughbreds are usually not IR at baseline.  As long as his PPID is tightly controlled year-round, his insulin should stay low.  You will want to check his ACTH and insulin in the spring before he goes on grass, and again in late summer/early autumn at a minimum.

One request:  could you please add a note to your Case History that the bloodwork done this summer was fasted?  Maybe put it in brackets next to the numbers/dates?  It really changes how we look at Babe's results, for example that insulin is too high to be normal for a fasted test but if we don't know it was fasted it looks like a very healthy insulin level.  Hopefully once the PPID is treated the insulin will drop, too, that's where additional testing will help you.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Anna Dolly

Thank you, Kirsten,
I did not know that his insulin was considered high due to him being fasting at test time.  I will go add that note!
--
Anna Dolly
Keyser, WV

Kirsten Rasmussen

A normal fasted insulin should be below 5.2 uIU/ml.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/247157
Babe's was not high, but if he wasn't fasted who knows how high it really would have been at baseline.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Anna Dolly

thanks,Kirsten,
I'm a little confused- if he wasn't fasted, who knows how high it would have been at baseline? He was fasted, so I understand that it should have been
a bit lower in that case- do you mean that we don't know what it would have been normally, without fasting?
--
Anna Dolly
Keyser, WV

Kirsten Rasmussen

That's right,
we don't know what it would have been normally, without fasting
It might not have been very high, but you just don't know for sure.  :)

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History