Topics

Prascend administration - strategies- archives?

Trisha DePietro

Hi all. I have looked through the archives to search for Prascend administration strategies...still having trouble getting one of my horses to consume it consistently....any special search words I should use to get the ideas to pop up?  Thanks.
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Trisha%20and%20Dolly%20-%20Hope
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos

Hi Trisha,

For the horses that won't eat it the easiest thing to do is put it in a 3cc syringe with some warm water to dissolve and then just dose them with it.  IMO it's too important (and expensive) to mess around with trying to get them to eat it once they start turning it down.

Many horses reject Prascend, which is another reason many of us ask our vets to prescribe compounded pergolide with flavoring like apple and molasses.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

And, along the same vein as Cass mentions , some people put their Prascend into a gelatin capsule (just like compounded pergolide) and administer it that way.  The capsule masks the smell/taste.

I know you are looking for some search ideas but I could not come up with anything specific that you might not have tried.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

tracy.l.dore@...

I know some horses can be too sensitive to it - but Salsa eats his Prascend in a piece of carrot that I cut a 'hole' into.
He snarfs it right down....so far.
Been on Prascend since October.

--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Bonnie

There should be some kind of official rule here: for example "The 31 Day Rule". Your horse will accept the medication in this particular disguise: a peanut shell for example, during that stretch of time. But when the 31 days are up, your horse will give you a look of horror and say "Don't be ridiculous! I can't eat that disgusting thing!" That is why it is so good to have lists of safe pill-smuggling treats in the files.
You can go back to the beginning of the list, though. After a while he/she will forget that you tried to poison them and will accept that thing again.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Bobbie Day

I took this from other members and started putting Desi’s in a peanut shell 😊
Now she would rather have it in a carrot , she gets a small treat (uckele) before and after so she’s happy with that.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Lori

I’ve tried a lot of things and everything works one time. Now she won’t take anything out of my hand at all. And this is using the flavored compounded also. No I just open up the capsule, mix it with about 3 mL of water in a 10 mL syringe and squirt it into her cheek. After three months she’s not even running from me anymore she’s just accepted that this is part of the nighttime routine.
--
Lori B.
Phoenix, AZ

Luna's case history https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lori%20and%20Luna

Luna's photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/casehistory/album?id=81237

Trisha DePietro

Tori & Floss

My QH is on 1/2 tab a day and I just slide it into the corner of her mouth? She either crunches it up or sometimes she spits it out in which case I repeat.
--
Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Pat Gauvreau <pgauvreau@...>

Bobbie
when you say peanut shell does that mean you took the peanuts out?
--
Pat and Savannah
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Savannah
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=22028&p=pcreated,,,50,2,0,0

Susie Cranney

There is a recipe in the files for safe cookies you can make yourself.  I use this recipe and prior to baking make a small hole in the cookie.  I then use these as an equine pill pocket to slip the prascend pill into.  So far, all the horses just love them especially if I add some crushed up sugar free peppermints to the cookie recipe.  Good luck.

Bobbie Day

Sorry pat
A lot of phone issues today!
I leave the peanuts in the ones I give, I just crack it open and push the pill in, if the peanut falls out that’s ok too.
I got the idea from someone here, I just assumed they were left in but maybe I’m wrong?
I seem to remember they’re a safe carrier?

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Nancy C

Hi Trisha -

I'm late on this, but wanted to share I used a Cashel feed bag for Beau when he started getting picky on taking his meds.  He got a lot of meds.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/196303

Prior to that, I would put just a bit of Nuzu in a dish with the pills and then hold the pan under his nose while I watched him finish.

Using the feed bag allowed me to go do other things while he gobbled the stuff down.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA