Prascend and Metformin - Correct Blood Test to see if it's working?

Robin

Hogan has been on Metformin since last Wednesday. My vet is coming tomorrow morning to pull blood work and I want to ensure the correct test is being done. What is the correct blood test to check if Metformin is lowering Insulin Level?

Additionally, I raised his Prascend from .25 to .5 mg about a month ago. Is it the ACTH test that will help me understand if prascend needs to be adjusted? Anything special I should request for the tests?
--
Robin

Aiken, SC 2022

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Hogan

You'll want to ask your vet for ACTH and Insulin from Cornell.  Information on how to do the testing is here: Equine Diagnostic Plans and Panels | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine and here: https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diagnosis.php.  The insulin test will tell you if Metformin is working, while the ACTH test will tell you if the current dose of Prascend is adequate or not.

Robin

Should he fast prior to blood draw or can he have his timothy hay cubes and supplements?
--
Robin

Aiken, SC 2022

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Hogan

Kirsten Rasmussen

No fasting, and make sure he has started his breakfast at least 4 hours before the test if if the vet is coming in the morning.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sherry Morse

Please read the testing guidelines here: DDT +E – Diagnosis | ECIR Group, Inc. (ecirhorse.org) but short answer is no fasting.  The blood draw should be scheduled at least 4 hours after the first meal of the day if he doesn't have hay for 4 - 6 hours overnight so it's not fasting nor after a possible insulin spike from feeding.