Topics

Protein ?

Holly Harrington

Hi Everyone,
I have a 10 year old IR welsh pony. She is doing well on her new diet. timothy balancer hay cubes, chasteberry, salt, flax, and vit E. I have received feedback from our barn manager that they are concerned she isn't receiving enough protein. Is there something I should be adding to her diet to supplement protein?
Thanks!
--
Holly Harrington
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Holly%20and%20La%20la/Tralala%20case%20history%20.pdf

celestinefarm

Holly, why does your barn manager feel she is not receiving enough protein?
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Tanna

Good morning (?) Holly

Thinking of some questions that might come your way from others...

Tried to find the info via your Case History but are you feeding the Ontario Dehy's Timothy Balanced Cubes? They show an analysis of 8% protein.

Does your barn manager have reasons for her concerns or is she just concerned because your feed program might be different?

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Tanna

Here is a nice doc about proteins.

Figuring Protein Needs

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Holly Harrington

Edited

Hi Tanna,
I am feeding Triple Crown Timothy Balance cubes. She eats about 13# per day. I believe she is concerned because the program is so different. Her weight has really stabilized on this diet. Where she was a little lean once we have gotten her up to 5-6 days of training and she adjusted to the new diet. We increase the amount a little bit and she looks really good now.
Thanks for the feedback and link.
--
Holly Harrington
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Holly%20and%20La%20la/Tralala%20case%20history%20.pdf

celestinefarm

Edited

Holly, this question about protein is best addressed by Dr. Kellon or one of the balancers here since in your case, you are feeding a pony that is also working. Depending on how much work she is actually doing, she may need some additional protein . Dr. Kellon has written about working, event horses needing a higher amount of protein in the diet.

  https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2017/08/13/protein-for-the-active-horse/

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

From the cubes alone she is getting 472 g of protein/day, about 1.75 g/kg if she weighs 600 lbs, more if she is lighter, plus whatever she gets from other things in her diet (??).  She should be  getting 3 to 4 oz of flax and consider Tri-Amino for essential amino acid insurance https://uckele.com/tri-amino-2lb.html . Add salt and vitamin E and she's done. That is more than enough protein unless she is performing in the upper echelon of eventing or racing.

Holly Harrington

Hi Dr. Kellon,
Thank you for your response. She doesn't get much else in her diet. we feed her the cubes 4X a day. Flax, Salt, Vit E, Chasteberry and soaked hay overnight. Is there anything else I should be adding to her diet?
She is worked about one hour a day 5-6 days a week. She shows in hunter jumper about 2X a month.
Thanks again!
I am so grateful to have stumbled across this resource.
-
Holly Harrington
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Holly%20and%20La%20la/Tralala%20case%20history%20.pdf

celestinefarm

Edited

Holly,
Dr. Kellon suggested you add Tri Amino to her diet to ensure the essential amino acids( protein) are covered. Tri Amino from Uckele is a amino acid blend that provides essential amino acids, the one's she cannot manufacture herself.
See the following link for an explanation of what essential amino acids are and why they are needed and Dr. Kellon's post below with the link to Uckele.

https://equimed.com/news/products/dr-kellon-s-guidelines-the-science-of-feeding-your-horse-for-healthy-muscle