Topics

Protein and nitrates - hay test

hdavis

Hello,

I am trying to source some new hay for this winter and found some but the test came back for one at just under 10% sugars and starch and the other had lower sugar and starch -Esc -6.39 and starch - 1.75, but the protein is 11.79.  Originally it was 12.5 and then did a retest and it is now 10%.  I also tested nitrates as is mainly grass hay and higher protein made me worry about nitrates. Migrate test cam back 34.89ppm.

Many thoughts on this hay?
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Hi, Heather.
It would be helpful if you posted your hay analysis in the case history folder. Nitrate in hay can be expressed in different way. Those I'm most familiar with are: ppm Nitrate as Nitrogen (NO3-N), Percentage Nitrate as Nitrogen, ppm Nitrate (NO3-) and percentage NO3-. My testing doesn't show ppm Nitrate as Nitrogen lower than 70 (expressed as <70ppm).

If your analysis shows 34.89 ppm Nitrate-Nitrogen as Dry Matter, then that level of nitrates is acceptable.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

hdavis

Hello,

I posted the analysis in my case history.  Here is the link.  Help please on if this hay is ok to buy.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Riosa/2019-08-13%2022-07.pdf

I wonder about nitrates and ignite protein is too high.

Thanks!!!