PubMed article on Metformin in Combination with Sitagliptin for Horses

ferne fedeli

Edited

I just read a PubMed article on the above subject and wondered if our group &/or Dr. Kellon had investigated this.  I did a search, but couldn't find anything (my searching skills sometimes are a bit lacking)...  Anyway, I just was curious since I have my Icelandic on Metformin right now.  Here is the link https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30929789/
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I've seen the article. It only establishes the absorption and metabolism of sitagliptin - not whether it works or not. Interesting that this drug is a DPP-4 inhibitor. DPP4 is an enzyme that removes amino acids from a variety of substances which changes their activity. In type 2 diabetes, the target they are after to block DPP4 activity is incretins, including GLP-1.  GLP-1 is the incretin that proponents of the term "insulin dysregulation" claim can be too active in horses with metabolic syndrome and it increases insulin levels, so why would you want to increase it further?

ferne fedeli

Thanks, Dr. Kellon.  It is hard for me to analyse some of these articles enough to pick out the good and the bad.  I am just worried about perhaps needing to go to Ivokana at some point and hoping for an alternative...
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

  Ferne,

Don't worry about Invokana. We can't control the cost but the triglyceride issue can be managed.