Topics

Purina Equilibrium Optimal

Lorna in Ontario

Has anyone done a lab analysis on this ?
https://equipurina.ca/en/products/lines/equilibrium/optimal/

I can't see anything in Files.

Company says it's safe for IR horses( yes,uh-huh),and I have seen 9% NSC(sigh) somewhere,but not sure where now.I've emailed them,but am impatient.

Surprisingly,it does happen to fit nicely into an IR pony's diet here,with additional minerals in order to balance to his hay. He's doing well ,meaning we haven't seen any adverse effects,and he's looking/feeling good.(and besides that KFG is his balancer,so 'nuff said)

I'm trying to fnd something for a previously-mentioned pony,who still  won't eat, and was thinking of trying some of this in desperation.

Would love to feel more confident about ESC+Starch in her case ,though.

Thanks.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Lorna in Ontario

Purina says," The Optimal NSC (sugars and starch) level is 9 (+/-) 2%. Thus between 7 and 11%."
I've written back to ask if they have esc plus starch numbers, by any chance,and explained why. I already know the answer.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

Lorna in Ontario

Purina wrote back to ask if knowing the starch number would be helpful,to which I replied yes.

They sent the sugar number today,which they estimate at 4%. No starch number.

I've asked about starch. I suppose they will have to say between 3 and 7,to concur with their first figures, but....I'll report back.
They also sent me outdated and incurrect info wrt NSC, fructans,IR horses,etc. but I can't get it to copy.

(I guess,in a way,it's a waste of time,since they are only talking  estimates.)

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

Sherry Morse

Hi Lorna,

I can't recall, but did anybody respond that they're feeding this?  At this point I'd take anything Purina said with a grain of salt, but I think it would be worth sending a sample in to Equi-Analytical for testing.

Lorna in Ontario

Hi Sherry,

I do know someone feeding it. Her balancing was done by   a super knowledgeable balancer here, who was just as surprised as all of us that Purina would have a product which safely fit into her nutritional program,to provide a good mineral base.
Her horse has been on it since the Fall, and is not showing any red flags clinically. His recent bloods just came back, and I *think* his insulin is good,but there's some confusion(my mind) about units, just to be sure.
I agree with you about Purina, but I began an analysis  conversation, because it would be great if this product could fit into someone else's program,too. Especially since our choices up here( for difficult situations), although widening, are pretty slim.