Quarter Horses and IR

gypsylassie

Hi all,   Time has passed since my husband and then his horse Beau, passed on, and I'm thinking I should get another horse so Chappie isn't alone.  He actually has never seemed to miss Beau, but I think horses like having a herd mate.
As I get older I tend to try to simplify life when I can, so I'd like to find a horse that's a breed not inclined to be IR.  I'm leaning towards a Quarter Horse.  If I were younger, I'd try a Thoroughbred, but I think I need to be realistic about my aging skills.  😊
A friend and I were talking and she thought there may be certain lines of Quarter Horses that might be prone to IR.   Has anyone here heard that or know what lines they might be?  Or maybe that's just something that pops up on the internet like so many things do these days.
Thanks,
Laura K. Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

As far as I know, that's not true. If you get a horse that is at least 5 years old you can at least check for a crest.

gypsylassie

Thank you very much Dr. Kellon.   I can start my search for a Quarter Horse.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Cindy Giovanetti

While I don’t know the answer to your question, you could do a metabolic panel as part of your pre-purchase exam and find out whether the horse you are considering is IR before purchasing.  I certainly mean to do this if I ever get another horse.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Diane Pingrey

Some bloodlines within breeds have issues to avoid or to watch for.  Do a google search on "Quarter Horse bloodlines to avoid" and then if there is an American registered QH you are interested in, then check out their lineage through Allbreedpedigree.com and look back 5 or more generations to see if any of the bloodlines to avoid are in the horse you are considering.

These are a few issues mentioned in that article:
Poco Bueno and HERDA (serious genetic skin disorder)
King and GBED (glycogen branching enzyme disorder)
Impressive and HYPP (hyperkalemic periodic paralysis)
Joe Hancock and prone to bucking

In line breeding can be an issue too.  Both Denny's grand sire and grand dam on her mother's side came out of the De Witt Bar and Three Bars line.

I would not hesitate to get another Quarter horse at some point, but I would check out the lineage in advance and early on to know what I'd be dealing with.  And regardless of breed, I'd do blood tests and xrays on all feet and any arthritic body part or injury, which can potentially lead to lameness at some future point, and would watch any horse's diet following ECIR's guidance early on.

Western Horseman magazine also did a series of 9 volumes called "Legends" on famous Quarter Horses with lots of info on their conditions.  The back of each book lists the names in that volume and you can then do an internet search of each name.

--
Diane P and Denny in Lincoln, CA 2021

Denny Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Diane%20and%20Denny
Denny Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263875

gypsylassie

Thanks for the info Diane.  I recently read about the skin disorder.   Fairly horrifying, never knew there was such a thing.   My first horse ( born in 1964) was a Quarter Horse mare with the racing stallion Peter McCue  in her  bloodlines.  I sure loved that mare.   When I was looking for a new horse in 1998 I was disheartened by what I saw happening in the Quarter Horse and I went looking at European breeds where substance, bone, strong hooves, etc were still valued.
There's a gal not too far from me who has a QH stallion named Indian Artbeat with a fair bit of Thoroughbred blood in him.  Maybe I'll check to see if she has anyone for sale.   Once we have more knowledge of all the things that can cause havoc in our horses, it makes looking for a new horse somewhat daunting.  Thanks again