Topics

Question about dogs eating manure from horse being treated with Prascend

dbrowne123@...

Now that I'm treating my mare with Prascend, should I be concerned with my dogs eating her manure.

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

Sherry Morse

Hi Donna,

I'm not sure there's going to be enough of the active drug left in manure for it to be an issue - there have been incidents reported of dogs stealing pills and being ok (as well as a few people who have eaten them)....

ferne fedeli

I once dropped a Pergolide (cp) about 3 mg on the floor and my dog grabbed it and ate it.  I drove her to Emergency Clinic (2+ hours away) and they kept her overnight, but no apparent ill effects...  An expensive klutzy act on my part!!!
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The horse has to absorb the drug from her intestinal tract for it to work. Even if it all escaped absorption that tiny dose would be mixed into an average of 50 lbs of manure. Not an issue.

My JRT stole the treat that had Prascend in it and got violently ill and ended up in the Er ..can’t about manure but just a tiny bit that she got made her extremely sick -vomiting , lethargic, and collapsing

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Joy V

Dr. Kellon, would it be safe to compost the manure then?  I had thought it would be a bad idea.

Thank you.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Yes, it can be composted.

Whew! On the composting!  Five horses on pergolide produce a prodigious amount of poop!
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Joy V

Thank you Dr. K, so glad to know this!

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

hdavis

A bit off topic but related to dogs eating manure. What about if they eat manure from a horse on invokana. Any issues with that?
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Not likely to be an issue.  There is more Invokana in manure but a dog would have to eat half his own body weight of manure to get a therapeutic dose.

hdavis

Thanks Dr. Kellon. My dog seems to have increased her appetite for those delectable horse apples so wanted to make sure!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Maxine McArthur

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:39 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
dog would have to eat half his own body weight of manure to get a therapeutic dose.
Labrador owners, take note! 😉

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response