Topics

Question About Dr. Kellon's Blog On Winter Skin Care

Lynn

In September Dr. Kellon advised the following for Relevante's issue with his mane scalp (mane loss and dandruff)
"I would try:
1.  Deworm with ivermectin and repeat in two weeks
2.  Wash the main with a dandruff shampoo containing salicylic acid then follow in a day or two with a pyrethrin based shampoo.  Repeat in two weeks.  Add 40,000 ICU Vitamin A for a few weeks."

I did this. Seemed to improve so after a few weeks i lowered the 40,000 ICU of Vitamin A to 20,000 ICU per day. I was grooming him this week and noticed the mane scalp looks worse than before in terms of flaky skin. And it appears the skin of the entire mane is involved...I also noticed some body dandruff. Since I can't wash his mane what should i do and does this mean i didn't really get rid of the problem or is it related to the cold since i noted body dandruff this time? I posted a photo in his album dated 12-6-18.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Do you know anything about his history before you rescued him? The breed usually gains weight easily. I'm starting to wonder if he has an absorption problem with the abdominal distention, weight problems, low albumin, borderline anemia, skin issues. Try putting A back to 40,000 IU, add 20 mg biotin (1 scoop) https://uckele.com/biotin-2.html and 1/2 tsp of thiamine https://www.bulksupplements.com/vitamin-b1-thiamine-mononitrate.html (just order 100 grams). How much oil is he getting now? What was the protein in your hay analysis?

Lynn

The only thing i know about his history is that he is registered/championship bloodlines, (i tried to get the registration papers just for the purpose of verifying his age but it hasn't been forthcoming - I don't think she can find them). He was used for endurance riding out west. Of the couple that owned him, the husband was the "knowledgeable" one. He bought Relevante for his wife from a paso fino farm and she took riding lessons on him before they began making these trips. We think the husband had some type of major health event (stroke or something) and that his wife was overwhelmed because Relevante and his companion (Pete the mule) were left out in a field essentially on their own for 2 years. Relevante was emaciated when i got him, feet in awful condition etc. She told me as we were getting him in the trailer that "he eats corn and watermelon."

He is currently getting 1/4 cup of Ultra Cruz Flax Oil Blend 2 X day
1/4 cup of Cocosoya oil 2 X day
Crude protein for the current hay he is eating is 12.1
I have been trying to find another hay source for him because although this hay is very safe sugar/starch wise it is high in iron. The hay is balanced with copper/zinc sulfate and manganese to offset that. But i have not yet been successful in finding a new safe source with lower iron. He's been eating this hay for about 6 weeks.
Also, when the vet was out for vaccinations we discussed his weight. He has finally just in the last month gained weight and is now just under 900 lbs. Even at that he is still hippy and slightly exposed spine and topline has'nt returned to where it was pre-diagnosis.  I'm monitoring his weight every two weeks and i did drop his Stabul 1 (2 1/2 lbs. 2 X a day) to 2 lbs 2 X a day.  As we certainly don't want him to gain any more. He has also been on "free choice" hay. I was loathe to pull too much food away from him since we are into winter and I don't blanket (unless he were to exhibit foot pain etc. which so far he has not).

I will certainly order the products you have listed and bump his vitamin a back up to 40,000 IU.
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio
March 2018
Relevante Case History
Relevante Photo Album

I've been wondering if Relevante might benefit from prebiotics. He's presumably old enough.

I've needed them often with my Paint, Diamond, who suffers with hay changes no matter how gradual. I also used them intermittently with my oldster, Satra.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Lynn

What prebiotic do you use?
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

FORCO pellets. Also Uckele Absorb-All, but my mare dislikes anything that isn't a pellet. Go figure.