From: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io> on behalf of morrisjennamarie@... <morrisjennamarie@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 6:23 AM
To: main@ECIR.groups.io <main@ECIR.groups.io>
Subject: [ECIR] Question about hoof boots

Because of the sudden influx of rain I’ve been trying to keep hoof boots on my gelding to keep his soles from softening. I’m currently using Cavallos because that’s what I have on hand. However, they rub on his heels and I worry that they’re keeping his soles soft instead of protecting them. I’ve also been applying venice turpentine to his hooves as well. So, I’m wondering if it would be better to keep boots on him and put some kind of protection on his heel bulbs (vet wrap, etc.) and check his feet or leave them off and keep applying the hoof hardener. He seems significantly more comfortable with the boots on but I worry that it’s doing more harm than good. It seems no matter what I do I screw something up :(
--
Jenna
Texas

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Lynn

Hi Jenna,
I use Cavallos. As a simple fix until you decide if you want to make a bigger investment in a different type of boot, you could try the Cavallo pastern wraps which are specifically designed to prevent rubs.....
https://cavallo-inc.com/product/pastern-wraps/
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

morrisjennamarie@...

I thought about ordering those but do you know if there’s anything I can make like a makeshift wrap of while I wait for them to come in?
--
Jenna
Texas

Lynn

You could try a pair of men's work socks. XL men's wool socks fit Relevante just fine. And they were easy to slip onto his foot. If you can't find a size sock that fits the foot you could also cut the foot off and just use the "tube" part.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

morrisjennamarie@...

That’s a great idea, Lynn, thank you! I’m sure my husband has some old socks he doesn’t wear anymore that I can use :)
--
Jenna
Texas

I like scoot boots when you don't need extra cushioning. The heel bulbs are exposed and the hoof can breathe. I have had them for years now and love them. I have used them for riding and for turnout. And even when Akira was just mildly foot sore after a trim.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

morrisjennamarie@...

I’ve thought about getting a pair of scoot boots in the past, I like that they leave the heel exposed. My guy already struggles with thin soles as it is so it’s an uphill battle for us :(
--
Jenna
Texas

Lesley Bludworth

Wow! Those are cool boots!
We had a Trimmer who made the renegade boot but these look super slick.

I like scoot boots when you don't need extra cushioning. The heel bulbs are exposed and the hoof can breathe. I have had them for years now and love them. I have used them for riding and for turnout. And even when Akira was just mildly foot sore after a trim.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

morrisjennamarie@...

I agree, Lesley, I have a lot of trail riding friends who use them. I use the Cavallos because I won them in a raffle but they get the job done. A while back a friend let me borrow some Soft Rides? I think but they’re so expensive!
--
Jenna
Texas

Lesley Bludworth

I know but at least they are cheaper than being shod every 6 weeks.
My boarder pays 140 for front shoes and I pay 60 for a trim.
I've had the gloves for years and I hope to never need these clouds again, maybe for trailering... but they are very
sturdy and well made.

I agree, Lesley, I have a lot of trail riding friends who use them. I use the Cavallos because I won them in a raffle but they get the job done. A while back a friend let me borrow some Soft Rides? I think but they’re so expensive!
--
Jenna
Texas
Member since Aug. 2022

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

morrisjennamarie@...

I’m really happy with the quality of the Cavallos, just wish they didn’t rub on his heels. Right now we’re battling his soles being softened from the rain so if he has no boots his soles get soft, but if he has the boots on we risk them STAYING soft. He’s so much more comfortable with the boots but it’s a no win situation.
--
Jenna
Texas

They are a godsend for me as we have nothing but rocky ground where I live. Akira too has thin soles and they have really helped. If they do experience foot soreness you can even put a bit of padding on the bottom. They have endurance gators that I use on another mare who I ride over big rocks and the pad that is attached to the pastern piece is all I needed to help her over the worst areas. Stacy Pratt from Heartland Scoot Boots on FB is honestly the best. She posts a lot of informative videos on her page.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

morrisjennamarie@...

Nancy, I completely understand dealing with the rocky terrain. It’s extremely rocky here in Central Texas. We were in a major drought until right after Pepper got diagnosed, now it wants to rain every day. I guess that’s the best way to end a drought is have a lamintic horse whose soles are already thin and soften in the rain :(
--
Jenna
Texas

Bobbie Day

Just another plug for Stacey and scoots before we’re asked to move this to the hoof page. My horse was one of the first us customers and that was a long time ago. I just replaced his first pair last summer. We live in red rock country, (many westerns made here). He hasn’t been in shoes since he was six and he’s sixteen now.
I would highly recommend scoots, all my horses are in them.

--
Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Starshine Ranch

I just got some Scoot Boots... first pair and am I glad I started with those.  No rubbing, gaitors and shims to help with the fit after a fresh trim and the folks over in Australia are incredibly nice helpful with good videos to learn from.  Super easy to slip on and off and my horse loves them but they stay on perfectly.  And they are only $200 for a pair!
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you Linda! They do look super slick!

I just got some Scoot Boots... first pair and am I glad I started with those.  No rubbing, gaitors and shims to help with the fit after a fresh trim and the folks over in Australia are incredibly nice helpful with good videos to learn from.  Super easy to slip on and off and my horse loves them but they stay on perfectly.  And they are only $200 for a pair!
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

jjlittle@...

The drought was a blessing for my IR horse, she could spend more time out with her friends.  Now everything is greening up so back to limited turn out with a muzzle.
--
Marcy and Mocha Central Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marcy%20and%20Mocha

Maxine McArthur

Marcy, I feel your pain. My ‘drought ponies’ are so much more difficult to manage after three years of higher-than-average rainfall.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

morrisjennamarie@...

Just as an update, I ended up making homemade hoof boots with duct tape and period pads (no diapers on hand lol), it actually worked out pretty well!