Topics

Question about two hay options

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hey all,

I have been feeding a blue grass hay (hay test uploaded) that has pretty low esc plus starch 5.4 .9 respectively and I have an option to switch to a timothy that has much better iron but is 8.4 esc and .9 starch-- will upload that hay test shortly..  The current hay may run out by early next year so I am thinking of switching the timothy which has a really good supply.  Should I be worried about how close the timothy is to 10% esc+starch?

Thanks Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

You certainly should consider that it's that high but only your horse's response will tell you if it's too high.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

gypsylassie

Do you have enough room to buy some of the Timothy now and mix it with the bluegrass?   If you can do that for each meal, the overall ESC/starch  would be lowered somewhat.  The good thing is, the Timothy starch number is nice and low, so if you notice he's starting to get footsore, you can soak some of the sugar out.  (Not that you want to have to soak)
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N I'll

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I was thinking about doing that Laura, but I am so worried about setbacks.. we have come so far. Soaking would be rough too as we are at a boarding facility and I would have to get to the barn before feeding at 7am which with work would make it a little challenging. Not really sustainable long term.  I did try adding a little to his feed the last few days and suspiciously I saw a change in his crest and that makes me feel it may be too high in sugar for Vinnie. It is lovely hay too..they love it.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

gypsylassie

Well that was a quick response from him indicating it's not worth the risk.  Vinnie just showed us that he is one of the sensitive ones, and there are some here that need the s/s lower.
 I've always been quite obsessed with hay quality, but since my boys became IR, oh my, my obsession is off the charts.   😊
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Laura me too. I am not really happy about the iron content in the hay that I am using either.  And I was super hopeful for the Timothy.  But Vinnie has spoken and I have learned to listen...

I am almost looked upon as the crazy lady with my hay weighing and what not..lol but I would rather be the crazy lady with happy horses than the sad lady without them :)
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer