Topics

Question for Lavinia

J Foust

Hello Lavinia,

Bronwynn developed laminitis mid June.  I had her in soft rides up until a week ago.  She also blew an absence out the sole of one foot.  She was/is on j-herb which is new as of late june.  X-ray spaced 1 month apart shows no rotation.  A couple days after removing the soft rides and diapers she flaked off about 1/4 inch of sole and 3/8 or so of frog.  There was white flakes but no bad smell.  Is this normal?  I feel like her xray didn’t allow for that much sole to come off.  Every thing seems to be dried out now although she seems to be working on an abscess on the other foot now.  Sigh.  Does this sound like normal foot activity?
--
Joella Foust
Montana

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joella%20and%20Bronwynn/Hay%20Analysis/Lewistown%20Hay%202018.pdf

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

This is pretty normal behavior with the J when feet have a lot of collections to clear. Just make sure her trim interval is short enough that it doesn't get out of control. I'll have some answers for you on NCH today.

J Foust

Thank you!  I trimmed her today.  She’s definitely sore in that rt front but not anywhere near 3 legged lame.  Hoof testers showed some tenderness in the lateral heel. Just hope I’m right that it’s an abscess.  Looking forward to what you found!
--
Joella Foust
Montana
2015
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joella%20and%20Bronwynn/Bronwynn/Bronwynn%20Case%20History.pdf

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joella%20and%20Bronwynn/Hay%20Analysis/Lewistown%20Hay%202018.pdf

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Joella,

Here's the link to her photo album - please add this to your signature:

Overall, the trim looks pretty good. Keep working on the toe and on getting those wall/heel flares tightened up (esp. on the RF lateral side). Heels are seriously underrun but there is NO height there to work with so need to add more height in the back half of the feet relative to the front half. With no extra sole depth to play with, that will need to happen by allowing the heels to increase in height while maintaining the current height of the front half of the foot. You're going to need to ramp the back of the heels but leave the buttresses where they are until you gain more height. Here's a visual of what needs to happen:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/photo/9625/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Looks like the RF may be laterally high (or it might be that it is medially low). Lateral heel is run a bit further forward than the medial one and it has flared outward more than the medial side. Frog has twisted slightly medially but appears to be starting to straighten back out. It appears to still be a tad stretched forward so will likely shed some more off the tip in the future. No need to trim it, just be aware of that when looking at proportions.

HTH.

Here is the link to your case history folder:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joella%20and%20Bronwynn

It would extremely helpful if you would please replace the links to the individual documents with the link to the folder they are in as it makes everything accessible at once.

--
Lavinia and George Too
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge