Topics

Question for Lavinia regarding heel issue

hdavis

Hello,
this question is for Lavinia as need some advice regarding Riosa’s hooves.  She has quite a bit of built up sole material which has started to let loose which is great. However some let loose on her heel area when I was working her and what resulted was a big chunk of her heel and quarter brok off.  So the one side still has build up sole and higher heel and the other has less sole and a chipped off heel and quarter. To try to even it out I had to drop the other side so she wasn’t lopsided and tried to smooth out the chipped off area. I then had to drop the heels in the other front to somewhat balance the left to the right front.

I hope this is ok to do as wasn’t sure what else could be done under the circumstances. Has anyone else dealt with things like this while the false sole is letting loose?

I also the other front hoof that is letting sole go on one side of the hoof sole and on the other is holding onto a large portion of sole. So one side of the sole is higher than the other. What does one do in those issues?  I can’t imagine that being comfortable to walk on with one side of ur foot higher than the other.

thoughts and ideas please? Thanks in advance!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Heather,

Couple of things.

Please forget the term "false sole". While in some equines - most notably donkeys and minis, who have small, compact feet - there can be a build up of exfoliating sole that doesn't get worn away, it's still real sole material. In a horse who has been laminitic, has sinking and/or has had thin soles, it may need any-and-all sole material that it has to maintain enough depth to be comfortable, regardless of how it "looks".

You may have needed to compensate for the heel section that broke away - or not, depending on exactly what, where and how much came off. That has nothing to do with what the other foot is doing, however. Please don't make trimming decisions on the left foot based on what is happening with the right foot, or on a hind foot to make it match a front foot, as they don't need to match each other, each just needs to be physiologically correct for that foot.

Whatever is happening to the sole material itself, allow to happen in its own time. The apparent amount of sole on one side of the foot doesn't need to match the apparent amount of sole on the other side of the foot, it just needs to be the correct amount for the area it is located in. If it hasn't let loose yet, that's because the maturing sole beneath isn't quite ready to be exposed. You'll find dirt packed more deeply into the more concave side, which equalizes the levels and pressures. Or if in padded boots, the pads will squish into higher and lower thicknesses to accommodate the differences.

Would you please post a full set of photos. Would you also please take collateral groove measurements for both grooves in each foot and at both the deepest points and toward the front of each foot near the apex of the frog.

Thanks.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Thanks Lavinia for the feedback and info.  I don’t think she has thin soles or sinking based on the feedback I received  from her last set of X-rays... but maybe?

Her CG’s in the deepest parts of her fronts on both sides (medial and lateral) now after my trim today when measured are 1”.  I forgot to measure the apex of the frog depth but will do that tomorrow on the fronts.

Her hind CG depths on medial and lateral of both sides of both back hinds are about 3/4” at apex of frog and an inch at the deepest part at the back.

I wonder if I need to take the toes back more on the hinds still. To me they seem a bit long still. And I need to remove a bit more flare on the sides yet. Will work on that this week after our storm passes thru tonight.  I also also treating her frog cracks for thrush.

Due to temps not consistently staying above 10C she is still in socks, boots and shipping boots at night to ensure she stays warm.

I will upload pics tonight.  It was her RF that had the heel chip off and u should be able to see if as that heel is much lower than the other side.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

hdavis

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Thanks, Heather. I'll take a look.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Hello Lavinia,

just checking in to see if you had a chance to review my hoof pics and had any feedback for me.

thanks!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Heather,

No, I have't had a chance to look yet but it's at the top of my list for tomorrow.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

I took a look at the latest photos. Overall, you made some good improvements to get the toes back again and reduce the bulbous toe wedge. Agree the hind toes can come back more - RH more than LH. Get rid of the lateral wall flares - RH significant, LH minor at ground level.

In the Dec 2020 rads, there was some sinking evident and the sole depths were just adequate, definitely nothing to spare. Based on the CG measurements you took, you have good sole depth now. and there appears to be concavity developing as well. Although they've improved, still need to get the heels to move further back under her. Use the high point of the bars to get increased heel height rather than the walls as that will provide a more stable platform that won't be prone to cracking off.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

hdavis

Hi Lavinia for the info.

Glad to hear she has good sole depth now and honestly I didn’t realize she only had adequate depth based in the rads and had no clue about the sinking either.  Her CGs have always been good from what I remember as well and if anything a bit excessive.  Since the pics some of her sole has let loose in some areas and is lifting in others which I think is a good sign.  Is there anything I can do to help with the sinking?

I will do as you say about the bars and hopefully will help. Makes sense and I try to not have the wall as the only support but sometimes when the sole falls away it isn’t  caught until after a workout.

I will bring back the toes on the RH more than LH but will take both back and reduce the flares as you suggested.  I still think the toes could come back a wee bit more on the fronts or what do you think of that?  I will work on bringing the heels back more as I agree they are still underun.  I have been bevelling them to bring back but slow process.  Is there a faster way or it just takes that long?

I am starting to ride her and bring her back into ridden work and wanted to make sure I am I to do this based on the dec rads and current hoof pics.

Thanks again!

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

I have nothing to contribute to this particular discussion but wanted to say how awesome I think it is that you've managed Rio to the point of being able to get her back to riding now.

hdavis

Thanks so much Sherry.  Fingers crossed we can keep it up and things keep going well.