Topics

Question Re: EarthSong Ranch Herbs For IR/Cushings & ......

Jennifer Boydstun

Hello-

I was going to purchase EarthSong Ranch Herbs. My boy started pergolide late July (43.5 ACTH at the time) and I want to support him through the winter. Is this product SAFE for Cushings/IR and if so what is in it that I need to avoid when seeking Herbs. He had a very hard winter last year contracted Rhino; then very bad bout of laminitis, then high fever for several days; finally had to give antibiotics for mystry illness after extensive blood testing came back with nothing.
His winter coat started to come in the last week of July (during a heat wave of 100 plus) I ran out of Chasteberry and within a week his coat came in.....wasnt sure if this is the rise of ACTH or the absence of the Chasteberry (I ordered and it took 3 weeks to get here, really)

I have him on .50 pergolide since late July still ribby and seems to be losing muscle in last few weeks; I asked the vet if we should re-test or increase dose and she stated not at this time. My gut says increase pergolide. He seems very sensitive to the pergolide, doesnt want to eat it, seems to be having body aches and muscle/coordination weakness. I started with .25, then .50 and 8ml APF.

Thank you-
--
Jennifer Boydstun
Folsom, Ca.

celestinefarm

Hi Jennifer,
First, when you get a moment, update you CH with the current ACTH numbers? The last noted was in 2018 when he was within a normal range, now I guess he tested high in July?  Also, his current insulin numbers?
I believe your instincts are correct, he needs his pergolide increased.  It's frustrating how many vets do not seem to understand that the seasonal rise means increased ACTH which needs to be counteracted with increased pergolide when the horse is starting out of normal. Almost none of the members horses here are controlled on .5 mgs. Even BI FDA approval studies did not have horses on .5mgs , they were on 1-2 mgs. and a number of them still weren't controlled.

The following is not a criticism individually of Earth Song Herbs, rather it is pointing out what you need to be thinking about when choosing to purchase and administer herbal, OTC products to your horse.

Description

With so many of our clients horses with metabolic issues including Pre-Cushing's / Cushings which is showing up in cresty necks and long hair coats that do not shed we decided to make a cost effective blend of herbs to support their specific needs.

This blend differers from the Sunny's blend in the amount of herbs that are added.  The Sunny's has more Ginko, Tumeric, and eluthero then this blend, both being effective for horses with Cushings or Metabolic disorders.

The herbs selected for this blend are ones that can help to regulate and balance hormonal cycles, promote blood sugar metabolism and support the liver and pancreatic health, all the while strengthening the immune system. We also used herbs that have been shown effective in treating non-cancerous growths and cysts and some that have anti-tumor activity and compounds.

Please see our Cushings FAQ page to read more about Cushing's Disease and how to naturally treat it.

The following herbs are blended for maximum absorption and include: Chaste Tree Berry, ginko, kelp, green stevia, eluthuro, milk thistle, parsley, golden rod, marshmallow, in a base of yeast culture. We also recommend our Kelp and our Chaste Tree Berry tea be added to this herbal as well for best results.

Here is a link to their Cushing's help page
https://www.earthsongranch.com/faq-cushings-horses

Nothing they have said so far is too earth shattering, although their emphasis on cortisol release in PPID horses , I believe, is not completely correct.

However, this statement is a giant red flag.
"The synergistic effect of all four products has produced great results time and time again over the last 10 years - helping to slow the progression or even to bring about a reversal of symptoms and a reduction in ACTH levels after consistent use over a few months."

You need to be very critical when looking at magic claims of magic results from companies selling products.  Regarding herbal additions to IR or PPID horse's diets, if you are going to add something, do it one herb at a time, and make sure the herb is tested consistently for quality and active ingredient. When you add "herbal blends" to a horse, you have no idea which herb is either effected or which your horse may be sensitive to.
Until you get T-Bird's ACTH under control, I would hold off on adding more herbs, etc. to his diet. They most likely aren't going to make a difference and they will eat up money that you will likely need for additional Prascend or CP.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Jennifer Boydstun

Thanks so much for the feedback; so thankful for the support. I know I need to update his Case file as we had success and needs to be documented, of course by following the ECIR Group support. I am going to increase his pergolide by .25 and keep the APF going.