Topics

Question Regarding Amino Acid requirements

Allison

According to the feed calculator on MadBarn Feeds, Keegan is currently receiving the following amino acids daily:

Lysine 37.298766 g/d
Methionine 6.729843 g/d
Threonine 33.141708 g/d

Keegan was on MadBarn Amino Trace Plus from March to August. We discontinued because we needed a custom vit/min blend to balance the iron in our hay. The AT+ balanced last year's hay, but this year our iron was double.

I am wondering if I should purchase Lys, Met, and/or Thre separately and supplement one, two, or all three to his current regimen, or if he's currently getting enough. Would appreciate some input on that!
--
Allison in Ontario 2020

Sonseeahray Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Sonseeahray
Keegan Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Keegan
Keegan XRays and Hooves Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255699&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Allison

I should add...the reason I'm concerned about supplementation is for the purposes of supporting optimal hoof health, since we are fighting lameness.
--
Allison in Ontario 2020

Sonseeahray Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Sonseeahray
Keegan Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Keegan
Keegan XRays and Hooves Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255699&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Allison

Just bumping this up hoping Dr. Kellon will chime in here!! :)
--
Allison in Ontario 2020

Sonseeahray Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Sonseeahray
Keegan Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Allison%20and%20Keegan
Keegan XRays and Hooves Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255699&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Lysine is adequate and threonine not an issue but you could supplement 6 g/day of methionine.

Allison