Quietude Tipperary 1996-2022

celestinefarm

I would like to thank everyone here, especially the Moderators and of course, Dr. Kellon, for all the help and education I received here over the years with my stallion Quietude Tipperary. He passed on sometime during the early morning hours of this past Thursday.. He was PPID and IR, although this past year, his insulin and glucose numbers were within acceptable range. He had been within limits of ACTH on 13 mgs of compounded pergolide mesylate. His most pressing issues as spring became summer were COPD symptoms. Those were managed and relieved for a few hours at a time on nebulized albuterol, but the extreme heat this past week seemed to exacerbate his breathing issues and I started nebulizing dexamethasone on Tuesday. That helped relieve his congestion, but as I look back now, I believe he was experiencing some kind of circulatory/cardiac issues. He had occasional wobbliness on his hind end, then Wednesday he began high respiration rates that nebulizing only seemed to help. He would immediately begin to eat hay, or his beet pulp, etc  after nebulizing, but his respiration rate stayed high. He was not sweating, despite several fans on in his stall, and he would play in his water buckets and seemed distressed which is exactly what happened last fall until the weather turned cool. I was sponging him off every few hours then Wednesday night I poured buckets of cold water on him which seemed to help as he would stop playing in his buckets of water and start eating his food. I thought he was improved with the cold water and left him for the night, and found him dead the next morning. I think the high respiration rate was due to his heart failing or possibly an aneurysm or some kind of circulatory collapse. He appeared to have just laid down , there was no sign of a struggle in the shavings or stall itself.

He was 26 years old, and was a fully foundational Morgan out of the Lambert family of Morgans. The definition of clean blooded Lamberts refers to Morgans whose sire line goes directly back to Sherman Morgan and Justin Morgan through Daniel Lambert and whose ancestors trace back on every line of their pedigrees to the foundation horses in Volume One of the Morgan Horse register and none of whose ancestors were registered under rule 2. He was only 13 generations out from Justin Morgan (Figure)  who was foaled in 1789. He was a kind sweet stallion who I rode in clinics with mares and geldings and lived to tell about it. He loved trail riding, but mostly he loved mares. We were small time breeders and he only had the opportunity to produce two foals, but one of those foals went on to become a herd sire for a fellow breeder and continue that same family line of Morgans and that same good natured temperament. The barn is very empty right now with him gone as he graced our lives with almost all of those 26 years, but I have the comfort of knowing he lived a full and comfortable life with the knowledge I gained here. His breeder who was also my mentor passed away in March and I hope Shannon and Tipperary have met again. Run free my sweet boy and may your fields be full of mares and foals and green grass at your feet and stars overhead.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

I'm so sorry Dawn. Chuckled at the comment that mostly he loved mares. Of course he did! 29 years is a tremendous amount of time to spend with a horse.  I deeply feel for your loss. Try to hold onto the smiling memories. Morgans are special.

P.S. I think you are probably right about a cardiac/circulatory issue because you did everything right.

Lorna Cane

Awwww, Dawn, I'm so sorry .
Wishing Tipperary all the mares he would love to love.

Hugs,

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Nancy C

I am so very sorry Dawn. I second that you did everything right.

Morgans are amazing.

Fly free with many mares, Tipperary.
--
Nancy C in NH

Lecia Martin

Oh Dawn, my heartfelt condolence on the loss of Tipperary.  Thank you for sharing your journey with us.  I have learned so much from following along with you and all the others who have loved and lost beloved equine companions.  He lived a good life, well loved.  May your memories give you comfort in the days and weeks to come.  God Bless.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Frances C

Blessed be, Tipperary and you!
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Maxine McArthur

Vale Tipperary.

Dawn, I have learned so much over the years from posts about your journey with your beautiful boy, I feel as though I almost ‘knew’ him. Thank you for sharing the good times and bad with us. I am glad he went peacefully over the bridge, he knew how beloved he was.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Dawn, thinking of you and Tipperary.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Bobbie Day

Oh Dawn
what an amazing bond you had with your boy, I’m so sorry for your loss. He was special in every way.

--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Lavinia Fiscaletti

So sorry for your loss, Dawn.

May your many memories help sustain you during this difficult time.

Hugs.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Donna Coughlin

I so enjoyed reading about Tipperary's life and lineage; what an amazing creature and a wonderful piece of history you've described. I grew up with a Morgan mare but never knew about the breed's full history, just Justin Morgan.

Tipperary was so lucky to have found you; he had the best of care and love. That love you shared and the happy memories will remain with you forever.

--
Donna Coughlin, Robin Goodfellow and Ariel Max; Duke (5/21) and Obi (5/17) over the Rainbow Bridge

CT 2009

Lesley Fraser

Oh, I’m so sorry, Dawn. The loss of such a great friend is absolutely heartbreaking.
His family line lives on, as he does within you. Fly free, Tipperary.

--
Lesley and over the bridge Omar,
11-2012, Sutherland, UK

Omar - Case History

I’m so sorry for your loss, Dawn.  I hope you will continue to implement what you learned from Tipperary in helping others here.  While he may be missing from your barn - and I know how that hurts - he will very much remain a part of our group.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

I'm so so sorry to read this Dawn, but you did give him an amazing life and did more for him than many people could have.

Jennifer Murphy

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've known a few Morgans in my day and they are in a league of their own, and it sounds like Tipperary was no exception.  May your memories of this special horse always bring you joy.
--
Jennifer in NH
2020

CH - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Flea

Photo album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=251041&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

barefooted4

Peace to you during this difficult transition.  What a wonderful life you shared.
--
Kristie Brand  2003
Arcanum, Ohio

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Dawn, I'm so sorry for your loss. We all feel your pain. Morgans have a special place in my heart. It was many, many hours in the saddle with a patient Morgan, Duke, that taught me how to really ride.

Mara

What a special horse to have had in your diligent care. May your memories stay strong and bring many smiles.--
Mara
NJ
2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mara%20and%20Enzo/?ord=dirname&d=asc

millionairess1989

Dawn,

Your post left me crying as I know the pain and grief you must be feeling as I share the same after Mill's passing just 7 days ago. These incredible once in a lifetime horses leave hoofprints all over our hearts. Treasure the times that you had together and remember the love that you shared.

I have always found the poem below poignant, many years before the time finally came, and especially now.

God's Foal

I'll lend you for a little while
My Grandest foal, He said,
For you to love while he's alive
And mourn for when he's dead.

It may be one or twenty years,
Or days or months, you see.
But, will you, till I take him back,
Take care of him for me?

He'll bring you charms to gladden you,
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have some treasured memories
To bring solace to your grief

I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return.
But, there are lessons taught on earth
I want this foal to learn.

I've looked the wide world over
In my search for teachers true.
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes
With trust I have selected you.

Now will you give him total love,
Nor think of the labor vain,
Nor hate Me when I come
To take him back again?

I know you'll give him tenderness
And love will bloom each day.
And for the happiness you've known
Forever grateful stay.

But should I come and call for him
Much sooner than you'd planned,
You'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And someday understand.

    --Author Unknown

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 33 1/3 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent; 2-13-89 to 6-11-22

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Lynn

Dawn! I just saw this. Am at a loss for words. I am so very very sorry. One of my favorite books as a kid was "Justin Morgan Had A Horse" by Marguerite Henry. I still have the first edition and treasure it. What an amazing life you shared with your boy. Thank you for sharing it with us. And for all the help you have so generously given out of your wealth of knowledge. Hugging you from afar!!
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio