Rads posted—Jiji case update

I took Jiji to the vet this morning. The vet did a brief lameness exam and determined she was about equally tender on both fronts. We did 5 x-rays, which I posted… Jiji does have a mild case of laminitis/rotation in her right front.
Her left appears fine, however the vet noticed she does not weight that one fully (preferring to put more weight on that right front). I mentioned she has always pointed her left front. I don’t remember exactly what the vet said, but he noted that she places a lot of stress on her flexor tendons on that foot. The gaps on each side of her foot at that first joint are uneven, I think is what he also mentioned. Why she seems more uncomfortable on the foot that isn’t rotated remains a mystery to me.
I also asked about sole depth, which he said is adequate (?). I forgot to ask whether her pedal osteitis has gotten worse since last year, but he didn’t find that aspect concerning. Also I’m thinking I should treat for thrush, with the deep sulci grooves, but again he said she did not seem sore in the back part of her hooves and wasn’t worried about that either.
Suggested shoes and NSAIDS… I think that’s about it from the vet. Now I wait for her next farrier and vet appointments. She trailered very well, which was good!
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota

Sherry Morse

Hi Olivia,

If you would like Lavinia to do markups for the farrier you will need to provide a full set of pictures as outlined in the Wiki (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1482#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help) Even though both x-ray images are cut off they both show long toes and barely adequate sole so it's not a real surprise she's still sore.  Are you booting her at this point?  Has she had any bloodwork to see where her insulin number is right now?

If you look at the images there's minimal difference from last year to the set done this year IMO so getting her trim addressed is probably going to go a long way to helping her feel better.  To do that often enough, keeping her in boots would be better than putting shoes on.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Olivia,

Can your vet send you the images?  Parts of the images are cut off in the photos but I think the originals will show everything clearly.  You should also take a round of hoof photos, as described here, so you have external images that correspond to the xrays.

Her right front sole is thin, and she appears to have a medial-lateral imbalance that affects the higher joints from the medial hoof wall being slightly higher, but the bottom of the xray is cut off so can't be sure.  The "slight case of laminitis" is really just some stretching of the lamellae in her toe, but that's a mechanical problem due to trim (the toes are too long horizontally).

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

I appreciate your quick responses, Sherry.
The vet appointment to check her insulin/other bloodwork is later this month (the 30th).
I have not been booting, I plan to buy her a new pair hopefully after we get her trim addressed. The two pairs of boots that I got last year don’t fit her anymore. She is on deep shavings right now.
I will try to get good pics for markups tomorrow, or whenever it stops raining.
Thanks!
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota

Kirsten,
I would really like the original copies of the x-rays too but apparently for some reason the vet can’t give them to me. Their system is not connected to the internet and apparently there’s just no way for them to send an original copy.
He did say the system will keep the images for a couple more days, if I happen to lose the photos I took on my phone. So maybe I can get better ones that aren’t cut off, if that would be helpful?
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota

Sherry Morse

Hi Olivia,

Since you paid for the x-rays technically the images are yours.  They should be able to provide them to you on a disk or thumb drive if they can't figure out how to email them as JPGs. It would be exceedingly helpful to have the complete image.

They may need a network adapter for the computer that is running their X-ray program.  An easy fix if that’s the case.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Kirsten Rasmussen

Seems like a strange reason.  My vet can transfer them with a USB, but she also uploads them to an xray viewing service and sends me the link to view and download them.  If your vet won't do anything about it, ask for images where the entire hoof capsule is visible.  The toes are cut off in both lateral views, and the bottom of the hoof in the RF anterior view.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lavinia Fiscaletti

The size of the images is too big for the screen. If you look at the side and bottom edges of the screen, you can see the slide bars are centered - which means there is more to the images than is visible on the screen. Ask if they can decrease the magnification so the entire image fits within the screen. If so, then it would be helpful if you could retake the photos.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Thank you all, I will certainly ask to get some better images of the rads to upload. That and the hoof pics.
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota