Topics

Ration balancing

cymraes58

This may be a stupid question, but I now have one pony with IR and one gelding with Cushings.  They both eat approximately the same amount of hay, so if I have the hay mineral balanced for one, would the amounts recommended be the same for both horses?

Lorna

Not a stupid question at all!

When I have a situation like this, I go by the  weights of the 'ponies'. If I have a 1000-pound gelding, and a 500-pound pony (for easy example), I work out the amount of the mix needed by the 1000-pound horse, and feed 50% of that amount to the 500-pound pony.
There may be situations where this isn't recommended but I hope someone will alert us to that, if so.

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator

Sheila

Thanks. So even if they eat approximately the same amount of hay ( Daniel the pony, approx 500 #, eats  5 -6# per feeding. Max, the Welsh Cob, an easy keeper eats 6 -7# per feeding.  Should I still feed the pony half?
--
Sheila
October 2017

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sheila%20and%20Daniel

Lorna

Hi Sheila,

I would follow weight of hay being fed, in this case.

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator
2002
https://ecir.gro
ups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

I approach this a little differently.  For supplements that are purely there to balance the hay, I look at it as though I am ‘feeding the hay’.  For my situation, 22# of hay gets one scoop of mix,  If one of the horses is fed 22#, that horse gets a scoop.  If one of the ponies is fed 10# of hay, that pony gets half a scoop of mix.  But I don’t have any situations where a pony is fed as much hay as a horse so the end result is the same as Lorna suggests.
--
Martha in Vermont
July 2012

Logo's Case History: