Re-tested hay results- Equi Analytic test 601 vs 603- NIR vs wet chemistry

busybfibers@...

Hello All,

Just wanted to share my new Timothy hay analysis results for documentation's sake. I've been working on getting my hay balanced and decided to get it retested using wet chemistry as was advised by my balancer. I had originally had it sampled using Equi Analytic test #601 using NIR. I didn't realize the potential for discrepancies in accuracy until after I'd already had it sent it.

Just got results back on testing a soaked sample- test #603 using wet chemistry, as well as retesting ESC and Starch on a plain sample also using wet chemistry. I've uploaded the results to my photo album for direct comparison for those who are interested. But just to summarize some main points...

Test #601 using NIR showed ESC at 7.2% and starch at 0.8%
Retesting ESC and Starch using wet chemistry showed ESC at 9.7% and starch at 1.7%- about 25% increase on the ESC and 53% increase on the starch when compared to NIR testing
Test #603 using wet chemistry showed ESC at 5.8% and starch at 1.6%- showing that soaking reduced the ESC content by about 40% with no significant effect on starch
--
BethAnne H. in AK, 2022

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/BethAnne%20and%20Daisy.
Daisy's Photo Album https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=273705

Sherry Morse

Hi BethAnne,

Thanks for sharing those results as they confirm why we insist on Wet Chem vs. NIR and also how big an effect soaking has on ESC numbers.  Soaking will not change starch numbers (as you found out) which is why we always mention that the starch should be as low as possible.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Thanks, Beth.  A few of us have done duplicates and seen similar discrepancies.   NIR always seems to under estimate ESC and starch.  I've had emails back and forth with the Equi-Analytical lab manager on this discrepancy between NIR and wet chemistry in my data, and he can't explain the degree of variation we see.  Your data emphasize yet again why the wet chemistry test is the only test we recommend here.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

busybfibers@...

Yes- I was glad to have seen the numbers confirm that, and I hope it is a helpful deciding factor for others in future in choosing the more accurate test. Hopefully they can test with wet chemistry the first instead of re-doing it later like I did :)

Blessings