Topics

Ready to start Jiaogulan just following and see no answer to the questions. Thank you.

Rose Miller

--
Rose Miller in Arizona 2020

Maxine McArthur

Hi Rose
I think in a previous thread you asked about the potential for interaction between jiaogulan and other drugs? There is some information in this document in our Files:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Jiaogulan,%20Nitric%20Oxide%20Support,%20AAKG%20and%20Supps/Jiaogulan%20Doses%20and%20Precautions.pdf
This document states: "Jiaogulan, like any herb with the potential to alter the way the body functions, is a drug. There is the potential for a horse getting Jiaogulan to have an exaggerated reaction to drugs which lower blood pressure, such as tranquilizers/sedatives or general anesthetics, and drugs or herbs which influence blood clotting."

If your horse is getting sedation for dental work, for example, it might be wise to stop the jiaogulan a day or so before the sedation is scheduled. But also I would check with your vet each time, as there are many different sedatives and tranquilizers used with horses, with a variation in their mechanism and effects.
I would also tend not to use other herbs with jiaogulan that are not recommended here.

Regarding the use of jiaogulan with NSAIDs, in the previous thread Dr Kellon confirmed your comment that the NSAIDs would cancel out the benefit of jiaogulan. I have given previcox (Equiox) to my horse as an emergency anti-inflammatory even though she gets jiaogulan in her feed (with vet approval), but I miss the jiaogulan in the next feeds until 24 hours after the last previcox.

Does this answer your question?

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Rose Miller