Topics

rechecking ACTH during seasonal rise- Dolly symptomatic

Trisha DePietro

So, Dolly has been managing herself well these past few months. In July, I increased her prascend from 1.5 tablets to 2.0, thinking that she might need a little additional coverage during the seasonal rise. She did fine with the increase up until Saturday when I noticed she was a little stiff and appeared to be rocking back slightly on her hinds, no bounding pulses, left foot slightly warmer compared to right, hinds equal and normal temps.... So, I started soaking her hay right away. I have a call out to the vet to run bloodwork, specifically ACTH, insulin, glucose. She seems  more comfortable after soaking all of her hay for 2 days.  Should I be checking any other bloodwork at this time? Thanks.

--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Do the blood tests for sure. I didn't see any blood test results for 2020 in Dolly's case history. The seasonal rise does increase ACTH levels and it typically insulin levels rise along with the ACTH rise. Do you have current hay test results that you can add to Dolly's case history folder? It would be helpful for our moderators and members if you could get Dolly's case history updated.

I used to use a SmartPak supplement in the past and found it had small amounts of alfalfa in it. I learned that my IR/PPID gelding was sensitive to alfalfa in even small amounts.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Trisha DePietro

yes- I stopped the smartpak  this past year....I will update her history. Thanks. Trish