Topics

Red has gone sore again

jonno17@...

After being able to successfully manage Red since his laminitis attack back in November 2018 Red has become sore again, he had bloods taken a month ago to see how things were going and his level was 18 which was great, he appeared to have slowed down a bit over the past week and now he is noticeably short and slow in his stride, his diet has not changed and he is still on a grass free track, he has however been by himself on the track for the past 6 weeks although there is a horse either side of him, he tends to stand a lot in the one place waiting for his meals, I can't put one of the other horses in with him as he's quite a nasty horse to paddock mates and Red is a very soft pony and he would become quite stressed if he was in with him, could Red have become sore from reduced movement even though his diet hasn't changed? We are in the middle of Winter here at the moment, it's very cold and we had snow a couple of days ago, it didn't settle and the ground is quite hard.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet

Bugger!

My first thought as nothing else has changed except possibly his exercise level is it could be related to that or it could be winter laminitis.  If it's that he might benefit from having his legs wrapped and possibly boots - https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/winter-laminitis/ has a bit more on this from Dr. Kellon.

jonno17@...

Thanks so much Sherry, I've been scratching my head as to how this may have happened, his pulses are slightly elevated, I did pop a rug on him when it was forecast to snow, I think I have some sheepskin boots I can pop on his legs however I only have his scoot boots now which I have put on him also, I've also gone back to soaking all of his hay again, I'll see if any of this helps, I'm rather disheartened, I've been working so hard for him not to become sore again :(
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

Kirsten Rasmussen

If it is winter laminitis, it's not due to too much sugar.  Rather it is a pain response to reduced circulation to the hooves because of cold weather.  Best thing you can do is try to keep his feet warm, and consider jiaogulan to increase circulation to his hooves.  Can you put wool socks over his hooves in the scoot boots?  I know you can buy expensive outdoor socks that have a goretex outer and a wool inner in higher end hiking/outdoor adventure stores.  Those might work to keep his hooves and lower legs warm and dry in scoots.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Judy and Bugsy

Something that I am prepared to do this winter if the need arises is to use battery operated heated socks and the little packets of Hot Hands in Bugsy’s boots. I don’t know how it will work as I haven’t tried it yet.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Here’s a link to Dr. Kellon’s blogpost on cold induced hoof pain.  I thought she’d posted something more recently but time flies, etc.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

jonno17@...

Thank you everyone for your input, I will make a few changes, try and get some warmth back in to his feet and see how things go, hopefully this will help, once again thank you everyone :)