refrigeration of cypro

LNGERZ@...

Jeri, what a cool idea. I had a "Critter Sitter" stay here for a few days
this summer and had the med all added to their bran for one day, but she had
to draw it up for the second day. This is a super idea. Yep, I will be
doing that, if and when I ever get another chance to take a vacation. I
mixed everything else, the sweet feed, oats, vitamins, ThyroL, Pandora's
bute tab, and Biotin ahead of time, in plastic baggies, and labeled them with
the day, Mule's or Daisy Donkey's name, etc. Then I put Sadie's meals in one
bag, Pandora's in another and Daisy's in a third. I wondered if this is a
holdover from packing lunches for 6 kids years ago? Some stuff you never
forget. Hey, it works, or at least I think it did. Of course, the mules
never tattled, but Daisy would have, I am sure! She hates change!

Kay, Puppy, Becce, and Mira Me
If the eyes had no tears, the soul would have no rainbow.
Native American Proverb
<A HREF="http://www.debsfunpages.com/onecandle.htm">http://www.debsfunpages.c
om/onecandle.htm</A>

Jeri Miller <tovero@...>

Hi everyone -

When I began using the liquid cyproheptadine, I was concerned about
the refrigeration issue. I board, and while the barn help are real
good about giving medications if they are set out at the horse's
stall, I would not trust them to draw up liquid in a syringe and
administer it, let alone leave my priceless bottle of cypro at the
barn in the fridge! So, here's my trick - I bought those little
plastic paint containers at a craft store - about 2 inches high and
two inches around, with snap on lids. I put bran in them (about
halfway), make a little indentation and put my liquid right in that.
Then I set out 3-4 days worth, AM and PM in a bin in front of my
horse's stall. The cypro balls up in the bran and he eats it up with
his Equine Senior. I have had no problem over the summer having the
medication sit at summer temperatures (according to blood levels, hair coat and hoof condition), but I do keep my stock bottle
in the refrigerator.

You need to use something like bran to soak up the liquid - it will
go right through grain or pellets, and pool on the bottom of the
container and stick - ie, wrong dosage given. The bran works great
and is cheap.

I also use the containers for my three year olds vitamins - the barn
help is used to using them, and it's easy to tell if a dose has been
missed, as I label them AM and PM and with the days of the week. They
are nice if for some reason a horse would have to be put on bute or
antibiotics - the barn help is already used to my Paints having those
little containers at their stalls, and they just dump out whatever is
in them!

Jeri (owner of Hank, 3 1/2 years post diagnosis and still going
strong at 18, and Phantom, his little brother)

-------

Jeri Miller
tovero@...

LNGERZ@...

Aren't we all a little crazy, "Bran Balls, Indeed!" Loved that, Barbara!

Kay, Puppy, Becce, and Mira Me
If the eyes had no tears, the soul would have no rainbow.
Native American Proverb
<A HREF="http://www.debsfunpages.com/onecandle.htm">http://www.debsfunpages.c
om/onecandle.htm</A>

Barbara P. <MorganPinesFarm@...>

Jeri,
I like your idea. I've been soaking some Horse Chow to get a base to
squirt the medication on and it's been a nuisance. I have 4 horses,
each of whom get something different to eat as well as different
meds.
I like to make their meals up ahead of time in plastic containers.
I'm
definitely going to try the "bran balls".
Thanks,
Barbara