Topics

Relevante's Trim Delayed A Week - Will That Cause Damage?

Lynn

Relevante's trim (he is trimmed every 4 weeks) was scheduled for tomorrow but my farrier let me know he's been down for the count for the last couple weeks because he got kicked in the back of the head. I don't have the equipment, skills or time to do it myself. Juggling 2 jobs, and care of my 87-year-old Mom that just had inner ear surgery and my 89-year-old Dad that can't see very well or hear. I posted photos of Relevante's feet in his photo album that i took today. Some are dark and some aren't far enough away but i was sort of in a hurry because i didn't want to leave my Mom for too long so i apologize in advance. Will it cause any damage to his feet to wait another week which puts us at 5 weeks? We are still in the slow process of moving the heels back...I rode him Saturday through standing poles, around barrels and over ground poles at a walk then we gaited on the straight, long walls of the arena...he did great and today exhibited zero soreness of any kind. We're also working on shoulder in, shoulder out exercises from the ground right now for his topline. Thanks for any advice about what does or does not happen when a trim is delayed.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Tanna

Hi Lynn!

I think you will be perfectly fine waiting one more week if need be. 🙂 Not much will happen other than a tiny bit more growth showing mostly in the through the wall. When your farrier comes next week he will just take the extra bit off like a regular trim.

I would have suggested asking your farrier if he has a spare rasp that you can use to round off the toe a touch between trims but I see that it doesn't work for your situation. For what it's worth, I usually have my horse on a 4 week schedule and this run I have to stretch to five. I won't even bother rasping because the difference will be so minimal.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Lynn

Thanks Tanna! Yesterday was stressful between what is going on with my Mom and then after arranging for help and driving 40 minutes to the farm to accept a hay delivery we had to cancel due to rain and reschedule. Then i got the text from my farrier (just so glad he is okay). So I believe I had a bit of a negative moment (instead of counting my blessings) and think I'm likely going to have to carve out some time somehow and learn the fundamentals of the rasp just so that i have a Plan B. But appreciate your response as you averted my panic attack.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Deb Walker

Lynn...Relevante will be fine. Believe me. I've been in this situation for 2 1/2 years. Lately we were doing 2 times a week, and slowly extending it out. I got really worried when it just extended to between 3-4 weeks. Scotty is showing no pain and is walking well (with boots.) When farrier stopped out last Friday, I said he needed all 4 done, and I only got the fronts because of time/situation. I know what it's like to freak out. My goal is to get Scotty out of his boots. But a week or more won't make a huge impact if you are on top of it.

Sorry for your family issues. Been there/done that too. It's hard.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Lynn

Thanks Deb! And glad to know Scotty continues to improve! In February I hope to get rads of all four feet to get a closer look at where we are in our progress. When my farrier comes next week I'm going to ask him to show me how to rasp and to let me try it just so I can get the feel of what it's like to actually do it. That should be interesting.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio