Relevante Test Results Following Vet Visit - Question

Lynn

I got Relevante's test results back following the vet's visit.  Dr. K had recommended waiting until the vet visit and subsequent test results [ and to see if his foot soreness resolved now that we are coming out of the seasonal rise]. My vet agreed his foot soreness appears to be gone at this point and he said I could ride/exercise him. He did however say that although the crest itself appears normal in profile, when he put his hands on either side of the crest he said he still felt some thickness. And somehow the boy managed to gain 15 lbs. [not sure how that's possible as he is practically an air plant now]. I assume it's due to his enforced downtime. The vet also said to continue soaking hay.

Here are his numbers through the rise concluding with those just taken...
ACTH
June 2021 - 19.4 pg/mL
Nov 2021 - 24.4 pg/mL

Insulin
August 5, 2021 - 44.74 ulU/ml
August 31, 2021 - 18.71 ulU/ml
Nov 2021 - 28.25 ulU/ml

Both ACTH and insulin have gone up. Since nothing has changed in his diet [as we are continuing to soak hay] is it plausible to think that because his ACTH is elevated [does this mean it is not controlled?] that it's driving the insulin up? And should I consider adding a 1/4 of Prascend tablet to his 2 mg compounded pergolide dose to see if that improves his numbers? And if so, when should I test again? Or do I just continue to monitor and get the exercise going again? His test results, record of vaccinations [he never has an adverse reaction to them] and his case history are loaded and up to date.

--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Hi Lynn,

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with those numbers right now but I would want to get him back into work to help with the insulin numbers as well as the weight gain.  I'd also want to recheck him next year prior to the rise (end of June/beginning of July) so if the ACTH is creeping up you can get ahead of it prior to the rise.  This is of course assuming that everything else stays good between now and then.

Lynn

Thanks Sherry. I'm going to have to figure out the work thing for him. Right now because of elder parent care etc., I'm only getting out to the barn every Saturday/Sunday. I've been trying to go mid-week but that's been hit or miss. I'm going to have to see if I can hire our caregiver and/or our barn owner's daughter [though she may not be thrilled about walking him in the cold]..he can't be free lunged in the indoor arena right now because it's also doubling as a shelter for the farm's overflow of hay and unless he's on a lead he insists on "gait by" snacking. We'll figure it out. Have too.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Deb Walker

Wow Lynn.  I am ecstatic to see those numbers. You have done such a great job for your boy.

Just my humble opinion but some vets make a lot about a crest. I know what a soft and a really large/hard crest feels like. If you can run your hand up and down his neck and not feel it hard and ungiving...I think you are doing great.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: