Repeat Hay Analysis shows lowered ESC

Baron

I recently sent off 3 hay samples from different lots.
One of which was analyzed in February 2022 - the ESC has changed from Feb analysis 10.7 to Sept analysis of 8.6.
First one done by NIR and second by Wet Analysis. Can I trust this?? The second analysis was done by the lab recommended on this site, Equi-Analytical.
I would love analysis/opinions on the 3 samples that I have in my barn.
Thank you.
--
Stacey & Baron
Terrace BC 2022

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Stacey,

We usually see NIR higher than wet chemistry but since this was two different labs you can't compare the two.

Any result you get, whether NIR or wet chemistry, is going to have a certain % error built in just because no test is 100% accurate. Another factor is that any given lot of hay, even from the same farm and same field, could have differences based on the amount of light it receives (e.g. on a hill), water, etc.  When sampling hay, you can sometimes see slight differences in the physical appearance of the bales. If you see this, take it into consideration when sampling - e.g. if 30% look more green, make sure your samples are 30% from those bales.

All of that said, even if you sample correctly you will get an average and you could hit an area of the hay mound where the bales are a problem. Bottom line is to immediately soak if you are seeing problems and resample the suspect bale(s).

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Stacey,

To get additional feedback, you should create a Case History folder and upload pdf files of your hay analyses there.  Then add the link for the folder to your signature.  That way we can all see them, including our hay gurus.  :)

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Baron

Thanks, I did upload them but apparently didn’t put a link to them(?)

Stacey Kennedy

On Sep 19, 2022, at 9:41 AM, Kirsten Rasmussen <kirstenrasmussen3@...> wrote:

Hi Stacey,

To get additional feedback, you should create a Case History folder and upload pdf files of your hay analyses there.  Then add the link for the folder to your signature.  That way we can all see them, including our hay gurus.  :)

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator