Topics

requesting mineral supplement advice after posting hay analysis

Suzanna

Hello all,
I posted my hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sierra%20Case%20History/CVAS-Standard-28750022-HOLIDAY%20FARM.pdf
I am looking to move away from the emergency diet to a balanced diet. Someone graciously explained the sugar is still at 11% and will need to be soaked, but I have not had anyone help me figure out the minerals. Could someone please help me figure out what minerals need to be supplemented?
I have added 2000 IU to Sierra's diet, and her coat looks much better after 6 weeks. The hirsute condition is gone.
Thanks for your time and assistance!
--
-Suzanna
June 2020 Berlin, Massachusetts

Sherry Morse

Hi Suzanna,

There is a list of people who will balance your hay for you in our files - https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing (open the Hay Balancing.pdf file to get the names).  Looking at the ESC+ starch amount on this hay and given Sierra's history of laminitis and her current overweight condition, is there any chance you can find a different hay for her going forward?

Suzanna

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
The hay is from our own fields, and it comes out different every time, due to weather and which field was cut. I can buy other hay, but it's the same situation where I don't know the content of the hay until I buy it then test it. I assume my procedure for the forseeable future is to get the hay baled, test it, then rework the diet.?
Where do I learn about  ESC+ starch? Or do I need to wait until Sept when I will be taking the nutrition course?